"BLOOMBERG API"

vkoutsafvkoutsaf Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
edited May 2019 in Help

Hello all

I an experienced user of the bloomberg API in excel in a windows environment (work).

Lately i decided to experiment using the rapidminer bloomberg api ("bloomberg historical extract") under the "finance and economics" extension.

i seem to specify the widget as required, yet when running it i get a "an active bloomberg terminal connection is required".

I am logged in my bloomberg account from home through a citrix (as necessary when accessing bloomberg via a mac).

Everything seems to be seamless, except rapidminer does not seem to be able to detect it.

Has anyone accessed the bloomberg api from a mac in rapidminer?

if yes, could you pls share how you did it?

Many thx

V

Answers

• hughesfleming68hughesfleming68 Member Posts: 323 Unicorn

That is not going to work unfortunately. By connecting to BBG over Citrix on a Mac, you are using the Citrix ICA protocol (remote desktop) to make the connection. The API library is not running locally so Rapidminer cannot connect to it. I don't think it is possible on a Mac. You could try setting up a Windows virtual machine on your Mac and and running Rapidminer on it with the correct API library.

Your second problem might come from the Finance and Economics extension. It might not be up to date. Your best bet would be to see if you can get things working with Python first. Prebuilt binaries are available for Windows which is why I suggest using a VM. Once you have that working then you can use the Execute Python operator to bring the data into Rapidminer. At that point, I would try the extension again but only when you have confirmed that you can connect.

All this requires some messing around which you might not want to do.

The simplest solution... If you can, setup Rapidminer on your work machine and connect remotely to it using Citrix in the same way that you connect to your BBG terminal. I am always surprised how well this works although I am using Windows Remote Desktop Protocol to do this. (Similar to Citrix).

Alex

python -m pip install --index-url=<A href="https://bloomberg.bintray.com/pip/simple" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">https://bloomberg.bintray.com/pip/simple</A> blpapi

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

hi @vkoutsaf - yes as Alex explained that finance & economics extension is basically dead. I think you should get a pop-up banner explaining this? I hope so as I'm the one who created it. :)

A python script will certainly do the trick. To be honest I have been able to access most APIs via the Web Mining extension; it is possible you can do the same with Bloomberg? You can find my API articles in the Knowledge Base section of this community.

Happy RapidMining!

Scott