Options

Reading data using field name

robinrobin Member Posts: 100 Guru
edited November 2018 in Help
I am read a file into RM where there is no header row, each field has the name included in the filed value. 

So where a typical CSV file would be:
ice_cream ,chocolate, candy

My files looks like:
"ice_cream"="1","chocolate"="4","candy"="5"
"ice_cream"="6","chocolate"="4","candy"="2"

Various other data mining programs allow for the "retain name" function, how does one deal with this inside of RapidMiner?

The problem that I face is that these files are large, reading them in retaining the field information and replacing it later with an operator uses more than the available system memory. 

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,507 RM Data Scientist
    Hi @robin ,

this format looks very wired. Why is this being used? It produces a ton on overhead while storing it.

Anyway, is the ordering always the same? If yes, you can just read it as polynominals and replace.

BR,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    Yes, it is very heavy. It makes the file enormous. So large that I am unable to read the entire file into RM for processing, just cannot get to the point of using the replace operator. 

In other programs there is the ability to read this in as a field name, can one do this in RM?
  • Options
    In Linux I would use the stream editor and do:

sed 's/"ice_cream"="/g'

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><process version="9.0.002">
      <context>
        <input/>
        <output/>
        <macros/>
      </context>
      <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="9.0.002" expanded="true" name="Process">
        <process expanded="true">
          <operator activated="true" class="productivity:execute_program" compatibility="9.0.002" expanded="true" height="103" name="Execute Program" width="90" x="246" y="136">
            <parameter key="command" value="sed 's/&quot;ice_cream&quot;=&quot;/g'"/>
            <parameter key="working_directory" value="/Users/robinmeisel/sweets/sweets.flatfile.1"/>
            <list key="env_variables"/>
          </operator>
          <connect from_op="Execute Program" from_port="out" to_port="result 1"/>
          <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
        </process>
      </operator>
    </process>

But this is a a windows machine I am working on. 
  • Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,507 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,

you would need to read this in completly using Read CSV and then parse it with Replace. There is currently no version of processing a file line by line. It's not to hard to write it though.

BR,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany