transfer license to new computer

szde_yuszde_yu Member Posts: 1 Newbie
edited January 2019 in Help
I installed rapidminer on an old computer and would like to transfer it to a new computer with the same license. I know one license can be used for two workstations, but I also want to install it on an additional laptop with the same license. Is there a way to transfer license to a new computer so that the old one no longer count? Thanks
Tagged:

Answers

• rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn
    Hi @szde_yu,

If @leti, @sgenzer or @mschmitz can correct me, that would be superb!

A license is given to a named person, not to a computer. I have it installed on both laptops (personal and professional one) and two desktop computers (one at home and another one at the office). Since I use RapidMiner Studio at just one location at any given time, and at most on both my laptop and one of my desktop computers, that isn't a problem. The problem would be to give a license to someone else, as you are the person entitled to use RapidMiner Studio through that license.

All the best,

Rodrigo.
  • MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist
    @rfuentealba ,

you are generally correct. I think there are special clauses on the concurrent use of the same license on various computers. But i think this is a) not the case and b) not a big thing for edu-licenses.

TL:DR: You can install Studio with your license on as many computers as you want, as long as only you use it and you only use one studio at a time.

BR,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    yes concur with all above. One added part is simply logistical - you may find it easier to transfer licenses by actually grabbing your license key from my.rapidminer.com and then inserting it into Studio by going to Settings -> Manage Licenses.

Scott