Options

Choosing good classifiers for forward selection applied on nominal data

green_teagreen_tea Member Posts: 11 Contributor I
edited January 2019 in Help
Hello community,
my goal is to run a wrapper-based feature selection on ~70 nominal features to select a the ~10 best ones. I think a forward selection is the best choice here as it starts with no features and adds one new feature at a time. I read through several guides here on how to do a wrapper-based feature selection that were very helpful in implementing this.
However I am still lost on which classifiers I should select inside the model. I will not use the resulting dataset to train and test a model afterwards, so the obvious choice of selecting the same classifier as I would for the model is not there. Are there any posts here I missed so far that would help me with selecting classifiers? Or can you share your knowledge and experience on this with me? I greatly appreciate your answers!

Answers

• Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,507 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,
    i am not sure what the best selection is, but Naive Bayes should be in. At least as a base line.

BR,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    lionelderkrikorlionelderkrikor Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 1,195 Unicorn
    Hi @green_tea,

Don't focus only on the "forward selection".
    I think that in life (and thus in data-science), it is always relevant to compare.
    RapidMiner propose several methods of feature selection : 

You can test them.
    From my own experience, the Optimize Selection (Evolutionary) operator gave always me good results...

To conclude, here a link to a ressource relativ to Feature Selection : 
    https://community.rapidminer.com/discussion/45775/multi-objective-feature-selection-part-1-the-basics

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Lionel
  • Options
    in case you know of one, can you provide me with a paper that supports choosing Naive Bayes as a baseline?
    Thanks and Best regards!

• Options
    thanks for mentioning this guide to me!
  • Options
    SGolbertSGolbert RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 344 Unicorn
    I think this one could be interesting, or at least cover the need for a reference XD

Regards,
    Sebastian

• Options
    Thanks @SGolbert!