Support Vector Regression not handling nominal attributes

islem_hislem_h Member Posts: 19 Contributor I
edited January 2020 in Help
Hello everyone :) 

I have a mostly categorical data except for some attributes icluding the target variable (numerical). I a trying to apply Support Vector Machine on it for a prediction task.
It would be too easy to just apply the operator Nominal to Numerical directly.
I tried the Auto Model to get inspiration from it, but I couldn't really follow what it was doing.

A little help in this would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

Answers

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist
    Ehm, why don't you use Nominal to Numerical?
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • islem_hislem_h Member Posts: 19 Contributor I
    It gives back high values of RMSE in comparison to the Auto Model 
    and the difference is only in the way of dealing with the nominal attributes.
  • MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist
    Hi Islem,

did you use the evolutionary feature selection option in AM?

BR,
    MArtin 
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
    I did, and I also used the same selected attributes in my own process
  • Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn
    Nominal to Numerical is definitely the way to go, and the dummy coding method should be appropriate for SVM.  Did you use integer coding by chance instead?  That is usually not the correct way to do it if the underlying nominals are not ordinal/scalar.  Maybe you could post process or data samples for further diagnosis.

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts
    Here is a screenshot of the process or is there another way to share it?
    PS: I used the dummy coding method already. 
  • lionelderkrikorlionelderkrikor Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 1,195 Unicorn
    Hi @islem_h,

To share your process (in order we can execute it) : 

Note: This solution requires the "XML" panel which can be opened in the "View" menu and then "Show Panel".  Activate the XML panel if you did not do this before.

Open your process in RapidMiner and open the XML panel. If you can't find it, make sure to follow the note above.

Copy the XML code from there and paste it somewhere else, for example into a forum post here on the community portal.  By the way, if you post your XML here, please use the code environment which you get by clicking on the icon Code  in the toolbar of the post.

Can you share your dataset(s) too ?

Regards,

Lionel