Extract Sentiment - SentiWordNet cannot cope with "very" and "not"

lena_rubenilena_rubeni Member Posts: 4 Learner I
Hello, 

using the operator extract sentiment in RapidMiner, I tested some example sentences like "This phone is good" "This phone is not good" to make sure that the operator is able to handle negation. "Not" is covered in the SentiWordNet lexicon if you look it up but these two sentences get exactly the same value after running the process. 
It would be really helpful to hear if somebody has recognized something similar or if somebody is able to help me fix the problem. 

Thanks a lot!

Lena 

Answers

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist
    do you mind to post your process here?

Generally speaking, @sgenzer and i are working on a new operator which is easier to use then the old wordnet extension. It would give you this result:

would this fix your problem?

BR,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • lena_rubenilena_rubeni Member Posts: 4 Learner I
    Hi, 

attached is my process in which I just check if the extension is able to recognize words like "very" and "extraordinarily". 
    So, it is true that the extension is not able to handle negation, although WordNet covers it?
    Your example is basically what I am trying to check with RapidMiner - so you have worked out a solution for it?

BR
  • MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist
    it's an operator we are to release "soon", e.g. this month. I'll check your process asap. but i am sadly a bit busy lately. Maybe someone else can have a look?

BR,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    @lena_rubeni I will send you a PM.

Scott