Options

"Can't find a shortcut icon in linux mint"

LabrosLabros Member Posts: 3 Learner I
edited May 2019 in Help
I just install rapidminer in my Linux mint system by the terminal orders...but no quickstart icon created in my desktop neither in menu. Could somebody help? Thank you!
 Found a solution in a youtube page.
But still cant understand why there is still no icon in my menu bar

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn
    edited February 2019

RapidMiner is, essentially, a Java program. Unless packaged as RPM, Debian or so, Java programs don't have icons on FreeDesktop (which is the standard that unifies information between desktop environments). In order to help you create one, it's important to tell us how did you create it in order to help you create an icon on LinuxMint. Make sure to tag @rfuentealba, so that I can come and help you, is it right?

The first question is: Are you able to provide us the directory where you installed RapidMiner?

All the best,

Rodrigo.
  • Options
    Hi @rfuentealba
    I installed rapidminer in the next directory: home/user/.RapidMiner . I'm sorry if my question is silly but I'm totally new with linux so it's a little hard for me to find out a lot of things!
    I unpacked RapidMiner from a tar.gz file and install it through terminal commands, that i found in this page.
    Thanks for your help,
    Labros
  • Options
    DanPayneDanPayne Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    edited March 2019
    Just got a new computer and I am LOVING this OS! It runs SO much better than on my crappy old HP. Things are running lighting fast and working really well.

As I was configuring the new installation, I was playing around with the desktop animation and other tweaks. In doing this, Urdu News - ARY News I have noticed a couple of changes that I have questions about and hope someone can help.

1. When I use the animation effects, the menu pops up above the bottom panel bar. Removing the animation restored this. Is there any way to keep the menu flush with the bottom panel using the window animation features?

2. When these changes were made, I lost my desktop icons. These however they never returned to normal when I changed the settings back to the default install settings. They will reappear when I open the menu and click the "Home Folder" from the menu but will not show up otherwise unless I click that folder. Can this be fixed without having to reinstall the OS?

• Options
    Hi @rfuentealba
    If you mean linux distribution, I have linux Mint. If my answer is out of point please forgive me and explain me again!
    Thanks for your time!
    Labros
  • Options
    rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn
    Hi @Labros,

No, no, it is fine. I think LinuxMint is Ubuntu, right? Let me do some research and will be back to you.

All the best,

Rodrigo.