Sentiment Analysis using the new Extract Sentiment operator

sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
edited March 2019 in Knowledge Base
This has been a long time coming..."one operator to rule them all" for sentiment analysis. Introducing the Extract Sentiment operator from Operator Toolbox 2.0:

Parameters are very straightforward - choose one from a list of four possible methods (two commercial, two open source) and just execute. Extract Sentiment will give you a new labeled score attribute.

It's really that simple. There is a nice tutorial process that you can check out as well.

Enjoy!

Scott

Comments

• kaymankayman Member Posts: 662 Unicorn
    Love it, Vader is a great yet underestimated library!
  • Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn
    @sgenzer the link to the tutorial process in the OP appears to be broken.
    Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    @Telcontar120 well how the heck did that happen?  :* Ok hopefully this will work now. Thx.
  • Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn
    Yep, @sgenzer that link works great now, thanks.
    However, I think there is a problem with the operator---it doesn't seem to take the connections that are defined in the repository.  At least it won't accept mine for Aylien or Meaningcloud.  @mschmitz is there anything special that should happen here?  The connections are visible when I click the "?" icon in the parameters but it won't seem to select them in the dropdown (which is blank and stubbornly remains so).
    Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
  • MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist
    since both the Aylien and the MeaningCloud extensions aren't open source, i could not use their connection. You need to setup a new connection of type Aylien (Toolbox) or MeaningCloud (toolbox) respectivly.

Best,
    Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ah, got it.  I see that as a different connection option now.  Perhaps you should add that clarification to the operator description?  It says you need an API connection defined, but people who already have a connection of those types defined will probably think they don't need to add them again specifically for the Toolbox operator (like I did).  
    Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
  • MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist
    actually @sgenzer wrote the documentation :) So all blame on him!
    Serious note: of course. i will add it tomorrow, but we will most likely not do a release for it.

BR,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    As my father-in-law says all the time:

No good deed goes unpunished.

• RojanRojan Member Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi Sgenzer, thank you for the post, I did exactly as above. Can you help me with interpretation of the results if there are any already, kindly help me find it? Else, once we run it we get the file with scores, that shall we use for interpretation and how to draw conclusions out of them. Than you in advance.
    hi @Rojan I'd strongly recommend looking at the tutorial processes with this operator (see Help panel)
  • jajderianjajderian Member Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi! This looks like a very useful plugin, I'm keen to use it. Is there any more info about the actual types of models included? Eg are the underlying models decision trees, naive bayes, clustering algorithms? I'm planning on using this in an assignment and would like to add more detail. Plus it's always fun to know what's going on under the hood. Cheers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Learner III
    @mschmitz, @sgenzer

Very good documentation because it is very short and I can translate it easily :)

Thank you @sgenzer , for short article :blush:  
    mbs
  • HeikoeWin786HeikoeWin786 Member Posts: 64 Contributor II
    edited June 2020
    @sgenzer

Hello Sgenzer,

May I know whether do we need to perform any text pre-processing before using this operator? .

thanks
    hi @HeikoeWin786 hmm you don't have to, but it may be a good idea depending on your use case.

SG