Options

Automatically run a process

PrenticePrentice Member Posts: 66 Maven
Hi,

Is it possible to automatically run a process, without using RapidMiner Server?
As in use a code to open RapidMiner, run the preferred process and close it?
And is it possible to 'paste' the results from a process in an existing Excel file in a certain cell without using Advanced Reporting Extension?

Thanks
-Prentice
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,507 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,
    why no tserver? It's free for academics.

Best,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    PrenticePrentice Member Posts: 66 Maven
    @varunm1 , ah ok. Thanks anyway.

@mschmitz, the reason that I don't want tserver is because the end product is for non-academic users and purchasing tserver especially for this is a bit expensive.
  • Options
    sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    @Prentice @varunm1 no, I don't know of a documented method to execute RM Studio processes automatically (e.g. on a CRON job).

Honestly if you use the RM Server PAYG solution on AWS or Azure, the cost is very, very reasonable. How long does your process take to execute? Say it takes 5 min and you run it every day (I used to have a client who was in this exact use case).  PAYG costs $7.05/hour which is $0.12/minute. Say it takes a total of 10 min for the server to boot, run the process, log the results, and shut down. That's $1.20 per execution or around $36/month assuming you execute 1x/day. If your client is not getting more than $36/month of business value out of your process, I cannot imagine why you're deploying it in the first place.

Remember the cost of deployment includes the development and maintenance of the solution. In my experience, code-based solutions may look cheap (free?) on the surface but there are many, many hidden costs under the hood. Packaged solutions like RapidMiner will look more expensive on the outside but there are no hidden "oh crap my code is broken and the coder is gone and I don't understand his spaghetti code so now I have to hire a new coder to figure this all out..." costs.

Scott

• Options
    BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn
    Hi,

there is actually a semi-documented and semi-supported way to execute RM processes on the command line.

Check out the scripts folder in your RapidMiner installation. You'll find rapidminer-batch.sh and rapidminer-batch.bat here, select the one matching your operating system.

It's a bit of a challenge to get it to execute the process if it has spaces in the path (including "Local Repository"). The following syntax worked for me on Linux:

scripts/rapidminer-batch.sh '//Local\ Repository/processes/community/Test\ Iris'

The backslash quotes the following character, here the space. The process was executed correctly but it takes almost as long as starting Studio and running the process there. 

Check out the short help text of this script by calling it without parameters. It can also execute a file (not a repository entry), and you can even set macro values on the command line. 

Regards,

Balázs
  • Options
    varunm1varunm1 Moderator, Member Posts: 1,207 Unicorn
    Thanks, Scott, I agree with what you said, there are many factors in play when pricing a product.

@BalazsBarany thanks. This is what I am looking for. I can use RM server for free (academic) but want to find any other ways to do this, pure curiosity.
    Regards,
    Varun
    https://www.varunmandalapu.com/

Be Safe. Follow precautions and Maintain Social Distancing