Copy-Paste and Bulding Block issues

ArmenArmen Member Posts: 7 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
I am evaluating RapidMiner 5.0 to write a thesis about OSS Data Mining tools.
So far I can say that I find it pretty advanced and with good features.

I had some problems with the simple "copy and paste" feature though:
In the GUI - process box, I select a group of nodes, copy them (tried both ctrl+C, or right-click and select copy) and finally paste them (tried both ctrl+V, or right-click and select paste). Unfortunately just one of the node is pasted (in a random place in the process box).

I guess that the problem is in the paste function, since I have the same problem if I cut and paste a group. The cut function seems to work since all the selected nodes are removed from the process box

The logic solution would be the use of "Bulding Blocks". Unfortunately they have the same problems.

I tried to find an easy solution for this problem working on the XML translation of the process: I copy and paste the lines of the nodes I am interested to create a copy. This is possible, but the copied nodes are not connected in a flow. Finally this idea is “ok” for small process, but it becomes unhandy for big projects.

Another smaller issue, just to be complete, I would like to report that if you browse the Operators list, it can happen that some nodes are randomly created in the process box.

Have you had similar experiences?
Do you have any solution to these issues?

Thank you!  I am looking forward to hearing back from you!
Armen

Answers

• landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi Armen,
    Thank you for these kind words and for reporting these bugs. That's why we call this a beta test: There are some (obvious) bugs inside the program and we need someone beside us, finding them :)
    We had noticed the same issues here some time ago and removed both of the bugs already. The final version will be published in mid December.

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • ArmenArmen Member Posts: 7 Contributor II
    It is a beta version, I know, but I was surprised that nobody had mentioned the bug.
    I ran a search for this bug, but I could not find any page about it...

Good that you worked on it and got it solved.
    I am looking forward to seeing the new version!

I will keep on posting comments about the 5.0 version.
  • landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    thank you for that.

By the way: We have a bugtracker at bugs.rapid-i.com . Might be, your search would have been more successful there :)

Greetings,
     Sebastian
  • bschwehnbschwehn Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    Hey,

I still have this problem using todays version (still shows as 5.001 though, is this ok?). Any way to save a whole series of operations as a building block?

Thanks!
    Ben
    Hi Ben,
    I did it an hour ago with the final version 5.0.003 available for download and I succeeded copying several operators at once.

Greetings,
      Sebastian
    Thanks a lot for the quick reply, Sebastian!

i deleted my installation and made sure I really have the 5.003 version now, but still no success.

I can copy+paste (though connections aren't pasted) two or more operators, but if I select 2 (connected) operators and save as building block and then insert the new building block, rapidminer only inserts one of the operators. Perhaps a misunderstanding how building blocks are  supposed to work? I'm using the java/linux version from http://mesh.dl.sourceforge.net/project/yale/1.%20RapidMiner/5.0/rapidminer-5.0.zip, will try it on windows later tonight.

Thanks again,
    Ben
    Hi Ben,
    the versions don't differ between the operating systems, so you might instead put the energy in writing a detailed bug report to our bugtracker at bugs.rapid-i.com ?

Greetings,
      Sebastian
    Ok, thanks for your help, I opened:
    http://bugs.rapid-i.com/show_bug.cgi?id=283

Cheers,
    Ben