How to Use Macros

MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist
edited November 2018 in Knowledge Base

In complex processes or projects with several processes, you often require to parametrize them using variables. Process variables in RapidMiner are called Macros. Macros are a powerful asset, which can be used to fully operationalize your analytics processes. Macros store what can be called primitive types. You can also store objects running through a connection. This can typically be done using Remember and Recall operators.

How to Set Macros

In general, there are two ways to set macros. The first way is using the context panel, the other is using operators.

The Context Panel

You can activate the panel by going to view->show panel and activating it. A common place to place this panel is next to the Parameter panel. In the context panel you can set new macros, by clicking on the small "+" button.

Macros1.png

If you think about a single process like a programming function, this panel gives you the options to define the arguments of the function.

Best Practice: As a best practice we recommend to use a small letter in the beginning macros and than camel case, to identify macros easier.

Generating Macros using Operators

Besides setting macros in the context panel, you can also set and modify macros. If you search for Macro in the operator tree you can see a few operators handling macros. We will discuss the three most important ones.

Macros2.png

Set Macro sets a macro very similar to the context menu to a constant value.

Generate Macro gives you the option to generate a macro with the interface you know from Generate Attributes. Using this operator you are for example able to generate a macro based on the current date (using the date_now() function).

Extract Macro extracts a macro from an example set. Often used options are to extract the number of examples of an example set, statistics like an average or a maximum or even single cell values of your example set.

How to Use Macros in General Operators

To use a macro anywhere in your process you can type %{myMacro}, which will be replaced by the current value of the macro. This is a real direct replacement and works in any value field in your process.

Macros3.png

How to Use Macros in Generate Attributes

In Generate Attributes and Generate Macros you have more options than just the %-Notation. Namely:

%-Notation

%{myMacro} inserts the current macro value as a string. If you have a string like foo stored in your macro you can do operations like

concat(%{myMacro},"bar"}

prefix(%{myMacro,1}

and so on. Keep in mind that you always interpret it as a string. If you store a 1 in you macro

concat(%{myMacro},"bar")

returns you 1bar.  Operations like

%{myMacro} + 1

do not work.

Eval

The eval() evaluates the string of myMacro. If you have a 1 stored in your Macro you can do

eval(%{myMacro}+1

you get a two.

You can also put whole equations into the macro. If you store a sqrt(2) in you macro and calculate

eval(%{myMacro})

you get back a 1.41....

#-Notation

The #{attribute_macro} notation is in principle a shortcut for writting eval(%{attribute_macro}), which allows you to access the values of a given attribute.
But there are two importantant difference between the two:
* #{} will fail when the macro does not contain a valid attribute name
on the otherhand
* eval(%{attribute_macro}) will evaluate whatever is contained in the macro, which might fail e.g., if the attribute name conatins a "-"

The difference between the notations are shown in this process:

Spoiler
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><process version="7.2.002-SNAPSHOT">
<context>
<input/>
<output/>
<macros/>
</context>
<operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="7.2.002-SNAPSHOT" expanded="true" name="Process">
<process expanded="true">
<operator activated="true" class="retrieve" compatibility="7.2.002-SNAPSHOT" expanded="true" height="68" name="Labor-Negotiations" width="90" x="45" y="34">
<parameter key="repository_entry" value="//Samples/data/Labor-Negotiations"/>
</operator>
<operator activated="true" class="set_macros" compatibility="7.2.002-SNAPSHOT" expanded="true" height="82" name="Set Macros" width="90" x="179" y="34">
<list key="macros">
<parameter key="attribute_macro" value="working-hours"/>
</list>
</operator>
<operator activated="true" breakpoints="after" class="select_attributes" compatibility="7.2.002-SNAPSHOT" expanded="true" height="82" name="Select Attributes" width="90" x="380" y="34">
<parameter key="attribute_filter_type" value="single"/>
<parameter key="attribute" value="working-hours"/>
</operator>
<operator activated="true" class="multiply" compatibility="7.2.002-SNAPSHOT" expanded="true" height="103" name="Multiply" width="90" x="514" y="34"/>
<operator activated="true" class="handle_exception" compatibility="7.2.002-SNAPSHOT" expanded="true" height="82" name="Handle Exception" width="90" x="715" y="136">
<parameter key="exception_macro" value="execpt"/>
<operator activated="true" class="generate_attributes" compatibility="7.2.002-SNAPSHOT" expanded="true" height="82" name="Generate Attributes (4)" width="90" x="246" y="34">
<list key="function_descriptions">
<parameter key="res1" value="#{attribute_macro} +4"/>
<parameter key="res2" value="eval(%{attribute_macro}) +4"/>
</list>
</operator>
<connect from_port="in 1" to_op="Generate Attributes (4)" to_port="example set input"/>
<connect from_op="Generate Attributes (4)" from_port="example set output" to_port="out 1"/>
<portSpacing port="source_in 1" spacing="0"/>
<portSpacing port="source_in 2" spacing="0"/>
<portSpacing port="sink_out 1" spacing="0"/>
<portSpacing port="sink_out 2" spacing="0"/>
</process>
<operator activated="true" class="generate_attributes" compatibility="7.2.002-SNAPSHOT" expanded="true" height="82" name="Generate Attributes (5)" width="90" x="246" y="34">
<parameter key="res2" value="%{execpt}"/>
</list>
</operator>
<connect from_port="in 1" to_op="Generate Attributes (5)" to_port="example set input"/>
<connect from_op="Generate Attributes (5)" from_port="example set output" to_port="out 1"/>
<portSpacing port="source_in 1" spacing="0"/>
<portSpacing port="source_in 2" spacing="0"/>
<portSpacing port="sink_out 1" spacing="0"/>
<portSpacing port="sink_out 2" spacing="0"/>
</process>
</operator>
<operator activated="true" class="generate_attributes" compatibility="7.2.002-SNAPSHOT" expanded="true" height="82" name="Generate Attributes (3)" width="90" x="715" y="34">
<parameter key="res1" value="#{attribute_macro} +4"/>
</list>
</operator>
<connect from_op="Labor-Negotiations" from_port="output" to_op="Set Macros" to_port="through 1"/>
<connect from_op="Set Macros" from_port="through 1" to_op="Select Attributes" to_port="example set input"/>
<connect from_op="Select Attributes" from_port="example set output" to_op="Multiply" to_port="input"/>
<connect from_op="Multiply" from_port="output 1" to_op="Generate Attributes (3)" to_port="example set input"/>
<connect from_op="Multiply" from_port="output 2" to_op="Handle Exception" to_port="in 1"/>
<connect from_op="Handle Exception" from_port="out 1" to_port="result 2"/>
<connect from_op="Generate Attributes (3)" from_port="example set output" to_port="result 1"/>
<portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
<portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
<portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
<portSpacing port="sink_result 3" spacing="0"/>
</process>
</operator>
</process>
Add Comment Collap

Macros and Execute Process

You can use Macros to parametrize ex

Provided Macros

There are some macros already present which can be used throughout the process:

• %{process_name}: will be replaced by the name of the process (without path and extension)
  • %{process_file}: will be replaced by the file name of the process (with extension)
  • %{process_path}: will be replaced by the complete absolute path of the process file
  • %{execution_count}: will be replaced by the number of times the current operator was applied.
  • %{operator_name}: will be replaced by the name of the current operator.
  • %{t}: will be replaced by the current time

Advanced Use Cases for Macros

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
Dortmund, Germany

Comments

• arellanoarellano Member Posts: 3 Contributor I

Hi, 

I'm trying to use user input from a website to populate my dataset with macros, but having a few bumps. 

Can you help me? 

• MontseMontse Member Posts: 19 Maven
    Hi @mschmitz,

Nice post!
    I want to extract a date cell value. I suppose that the Extract macro operator changes the type of the value to nominal because when I generate a new attribute with this saved value I obtain a nominal type.

Do you know how save the date value keeping the date type when I try to recover the value?
    I attach a sample.

Thanks in advance,
    Montse
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    hi @Montse you are correct - macros are nominal. You need to convert back and forth if they are dates.

Scott

• MontseMontse Member Posts: 19 Maven
    Thank you @sgenzer!. I have just done as you said.
    I only wanted to know it there was another way to do it but this is good.
    Best regards,
    Montse
  • SGolbertSGolbert RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 344 Unicorn
    Hi,

Macros haven't aged well since the first versions of RM. Is there an overhaul in the making?

Regards,
    Sebastian
  • huayuhuayu Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    why arellano 's question is ignored?
  • Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn
    I don't think that is really a question---it's more of a comment that they are running into problems.  I am not sure what anyone can do to help with that unless the question is more specific and describes exactly the "bumps" that are occurring (more like the question from Montse above).
    Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts
  • varunm1varunm1 Moderator, Member Posts: 1,207 Unicorn
    Hello @huayu

As @Telcontar120 mentioned, it is really challenging to answer these kinds of questions, I think the user might have created another thread with a detailed explanation of his issue or he just left it. This is the reason we have a banner in "Ask a Question" page that suggests the ways of asking a good question, these are the best methods to get answers from the community. 

Regards,
    Varun
    https://www.varunmandalapu.com/

Be Safe. Follow precautions and Maintain Social Distancing

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    @SGolbert not as far as I am aware. If you are able to write up some improvements to macros, I will push to Prod Ideas.

Scott

• SGolbertSGolbert RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 344 Unicorn

Well, to begin with I dislike the name "macros", it has nothing to do with macros from other contexts. One major improvement would be to typify them, converting back and fort from strings is a waste of time.

Other than that, they are fine. From the training side, it should be explained that macros are not the only way to get data into a RM Web Service, but it is also possible to use POST commands to send large amounts of data.

Regards,
    Sebastian

@SGolbert I completely agree with the naming - always seemed weird to me. I end up doing some kind of "RapidMiner Terminology" in every training I do...

RapidMiner
    In other places can be known as....
    attributecolumn
    examplerow
    ExampleSetdata table
    processworkflow
    macroglobal variable
    scriptmacro

I'm sure we could all add to this list :smile:

Every software package has their own idiosyncratic vocabulary...I am not sure RapidMiner is much different in that way. I will say IMHO that at this point changing some of these fundamental vocabulary items would be horrendous...so much material has been built on it. But there is no harm in putting it on the ideas list :wink:

Scott