RM Studio 9.3 not starting anymore

joendjoend Member Posts: 3 Newbie
edited September 2019 in Help
Hello,
i installed RM 9.3.1 in my Windows 10 and used it exactly 1 time for process mining with ProM-Tool. While I did that, I got a freezed screen so I stopped the RapidMiner task. Since that, RapidMiner is not starting anymore. No error message, just no reaction. But in the task manager I can see that Java starts, but nothing else happens than a new Java task... I reinstalled RM but still no reaction. I've 192 GB Memory and 20 Processores running so that shouldn't be a problem. I have a 64bit machine, the 64bit install.exe file but nevertheless RM installs a 32bit version. Maybe this is important?
I have no idea where to start looking for this issue. Maybe some of you know my trouble.
Tagged:

Answers

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,

can you please have a look / post your rapidminer-studio.log? It is located in .RapidMiner folder in your Home dir.

Cheers,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • joendjoend Member Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited September 2019
    Hi, thank you for the fast answer. I found some log files:
    - rapidminer-studio.log.1, rapidminer-studio.log.2, rapidminer-studio.log3., rapidminer-studio.log.4 and rapidminer-studio.log.1.lck, ...2.lck, ..3.lck, ..4.lck - but they are all empty!

Does the file "launcher.txt" helps you? there are some "logs" in it?!

I tried to run the .bat start file but nothing else then the message "Launching RapidMiner Studio GUI now...", nothing happens..

Thank you in advance!
  • MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,
    if you want to run the bat, then please start a new cmd and launch it from CMD, then you can see the log as well.

There should be a .log without anything after it. .1 .2 and so on are only created in case you opened more than 1 studio at the same time.

Have you by the way checked what happend if your deinstall prom? (Just delete the jar from your managed folder).

Best,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    @joend yes if you have Java 64-bit and you downloaded the 32-bit version of RapidMiner, that is exactly what will happen. Please uninstall the 32-bit version and re-download + install the 64-bit version.

Scott

• joendjoend Member Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited September 2019
    Thank you for your help!

mschmiz: there is a screenshot when I lauch RM .bat via CMD - is there a hidden error message it just s? 

Unfortunately I cannot find any rapidminer-studio.log file, just a rapidminer-studio.log.lck file - which is empty... but as i sad I can provide the launcher.txt if that would help..

I deleted the .jar file in managed folder but still no reaction.

sgenzer: thank you too! I think I have the 64 bit version of RM (installed rapidminer-studio-9.3.1-win64-install.exe ) . I uninstalled RM, deleted the hidden .RapidMiner folder manually then reinstalled and RM started! But the joy was a short one, ofter 2 hours it crached again and now I have the same problem again... By the way, where can I see which java version I have? 

Thank you in advance
    Jo

---
    Edit: Deleting the whole .RapidMiner folder helps, it runs again without uninstalling RM... But that's not a very smooth solution....
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    @joend trashing the .RapidMiner folder should (?) be done whenever you uninstall RapidMiner. That folder is very important - it holds all of your user-specific information (see this KB article). 

As for finding Java version, please follow these instructions: https://www.java.com/en/download/help/version_manual.xml

Scott