Server installation problem

sheelakasbekarsheelakasbekar Member Posts: 9 Contributor I
edited December 2018 in Help

i  have installed rapidminer server ... but nothing is working. I ran the standalone bat afile as well. I try creating a repositary in studio but that is not working as well. i tried to a do all the steps mentioned on the help menu.. rapiminer.com site . but nothing is changing. Please help

Answers

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

hello @sheelakasbekar - welcome.  Can you please give us more to look at?  Your note is all general but usually problems with installation are unique with your system.  Which steps are you following and at which step are you stuck?  What is your hardware setup and database? Local or cloud?  And so forth...

Scott

• sheelakasbekarsheelakasbekar Member Posts: 9 Contributor I

Thanks for the reply.

I have downloaded java, sql and rapidminer server as well.  but i am stuck with the further steps.

i help link states run the standalone file and write the command , which was completed .But nothing worked . i have windows 10 laptop.

database is local

• BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn

Hi,

let's do this step by step, by working with a checklist.

Which type of database are you using? Did you create an empty database and a user with create/write permissions to this database?

Did you start the graphical setup program? Did you do it with an administrative or a normal user?

Did you specify a correct Java path?

Did you select a path to install RapidMiner Server to? Are there files in it? Did the name contain spaces? (That can be a problem.)

Did you enter the data necessary for accessing your database? Did it succeed upon testing?

If the setup is done, it told you how to start the Server. On Windows, it should also create a system service if you install with admin rights. 

If you didn't use the Server yet, you can do all this again without losing any work.

Starting the server: you have the choice between the Windows service and standalone.bat. If you start standalone.bat, it should write diagnostic information. After a minute or so, it should write that the server was started successfully. 

When the server is started, use a web browser to check if http://localhost:8080 or http://yourmachine:8080 is working. It should show you the Admin login page (admin/changeit). You must login once to finish the installation. RapidMiner Studio won't work with the server before this.

Regards,

Balázs

my database is sql and stuck with jdbc file

• BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn

Hi,

most relational databases are "SQL". You should specify which type it is.

Maybe MySQL? They don't let RapidMiner redistribute the JDBC library. You can download it from their site

After extracting the archive file, you'll have a file with the .jar extension. This is the one you need to specify in the setup program.

Regards,

Balázs

• richardsona4richardsona4 Member, University Professor Posts: 11 University Professor
    Hello, I am having a similar issue as above, after installing RM Server on a new machine (20GB RAM). This is a local Oracle DB install; I used the RM Academy Install Video as my checklist, and I followed all the steps; the video was very helpful as a reference.  I have Jave 8 and no white spaces in my folder location.

I am able to get the service running, but when I try to access the browser in my final install step, I get "this site cannot be reached" error.

Tried both http://localhost:8888 and http://mymachine:8888, since I am using Oracle Express and was advised to change from port 8080. I configured my firewall to allow the port, but even when the firewall is turned off, I still cannot access the URL.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

-Anthony

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    hi @richardsona4 hmm where did you see to go to port 8888 instead of port 8080? That is something I have not seen before.
  • richardsona4richardsona4 Member, University Professor Posts: 11 University Professor
    Hi Scott; thanks for your reply. 8888 is actually referenced in this video, starting at the 2:18 mark. https://academy.rapidminer.com/learn/video/rapidminer-server-installation-walkthrough

If I just need to re-install and point to 8080, I can do that, I just wanted to check with the community first, before I re-started the process.
    hmm that's an Academy video. @jmergler?
    Hi @sgenzer. I did a re-install, and used port 8080; everything works now. Maybe the video needs to be edited to reflect this? Thanks again for your follow-up, I appreciate it. 
    yep thanks for the feedback. Glad everything is working!
  • jmerglerjmergler Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 41 Guru
    Hi @richardsona4, Thanks for letting us know, and I'm glad to hear that you worked through it! For a sandbox type of installation like you have, I think you're approach of just re-installing makes sense. It's often faster than troubleshooting. I'll add a little more general information:
    If you were working on building a production system, then I would have encouraged you to try and pinpoint the issue more rigorously. We've performed the server installation with port 8888, and other ports, many times, and I'm not aware of any issues that causes on its own (I don't use port 8080 for my own local RapidMiner server). It can be worthwhile to double-check for possible port conflicts. You could use a general port listener, or for oracle xe you might use 
    SQL> SELECT dbms_xdb.gethttpport FROM dual; 
    When I turn Oracle XE on and run that, I do get port 8080. 
    If you do need to change the port on RapidMiner Server, it doesn't necessarily require a full re-install. It can be changed after installation, https://docs.rapidminer.com/latest/server/configure/settings/, also, the port for Oracle XE can also be changed if needed. The problems we typically see with port selection are conflicts, inconsistencies in settings, or something like a firewall blocking the port.