PROJECT

NapascoNapasco Member Posts: 6 Newbie
Hello i am a final year student in the university and please can anyone help me come out with a project topic about how to do something with machine learning and Geographic information System particularly using rapid miner. The priority is i need a project topic for my final year.

Answers

• rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn
    Hello @Napasco,

I have some experience working with GIS and Data Science. It all boils down to what kind of GIS are you using. If you have enough time to learn PostgreSQL and PostGIS, you can create layers and maps, and dispose these to GeoServer or Open Street Map.

The good thing about using PostGIS is that you can use RapidMiner to query it directly, mix tabular data with geographical information, and display it on a map. The first idea that comes to my mind is a COMPSTAT-like software. COMPSTAT was based in the idea of Jack Maple, he had a physical map in the 60's, and used pins (actual pins) to figure out how criminal activities move, using that information to deploy police units. Now, police and armed forces use it.

The same idea can be applied to: bushfires, traffic jams, city planning, marketing, etc. I did something with oceanic research using GIS and lots of data, and using PostGIS helped me greatly decreasing the need for consuming yet another GIS system with its own methodology to connect, and use it only to display data in a dashboard. If you need more information, just tag me and I'll see how can I help.

All the best,

Rod.
  • NapascoNapasco Member Posts: 6 Newbie
    Thank you very much for the information s very useful,
  • NapascoNapasco Member Posts: 6 Newbie
    But can you provide me a broad topic regarding to a project........like, for example, using machine learning and his data to do something........something of this dort