can Rapidminer use GPU for student license?

18a637y18a637y Member Posts: 2 Newbie
edited January 2020 in Help
Given that the corresponding CUDA version is installed and working and tested in KERAS within Anaconda, will Rapidminer use GPU for student license? Is there a version of CUDA that must be used? I'm using RapidMiner 9.1 Educational Edition. 

The Error message is:

"There was an error while switching to the GPU backend."
followed by:
"Error while switching to GPU backend. Either CUDA 9.0 is not installed or you have a free license. Check the log for more information."

I'm new to setting up KERAS for Deep Learning in RapidMiner.

Thanks!
Tagged:

Best Answers

• 18a637y18a637y Member Posts: 2 Newbie
    Solution Accepted
    Hi Varun,

Thank you for at least letting me know that is will work with CUDA 9. So I did not mention that I am using RTX I believe. For the new cards that can utilise Tennsor units, it can use CUDA 9 (Volta and Tensor core support). The graphics driver version that supports it, however, is installing CUDA 10. There were ways to install only the cuda 9 toolkit and some users have done that. Installing the Tensorflow and Keras in Anaconda was successful and automatically install the CUDA 9.0 toolkit and I was able to run the samples from Keras. Still I think that was a problem when using it with Rapidminer. Currently the updates may may broken the version compatability....

Before RapidMiner ask for CUDA 9.0, it asked for CUDA 9.1, Does that mean something?

Thanks,
    Ken

Answers

• brandjoebrandjoe Member Posts: 7 Newbie
    edited May 2019
    I have to dig out this old thread again.
    Using an older CUDA version with an updated driver should also work? I'm having trouble to switch to GPU with a GTX 970, driver 430.00 which comes with CUDA driver 10.1.120.
    The CUDA 9 installer comes with driver 385.xx. I have all CUDA 9 updates installed also, except update 1 which doesn't install at all.
    Same as the OP I'm on an Educational License as well.
  • varunm1varunm1 Moderator, Member Posts: 1,207 Unicorn
    edited May 2019
    Hi @brandjoe

CUDA 9.0 works. You can see my cuda version below. My driver is 417.35. NVIDIA says anything above 384.81 should work with 9.0. 1080Ti

Regards,
    Varun
    https://www.varunmandalapu.com/

Be Safe. Follow precautions and Maintain Social Distancing

• mortizmortiz Member Posts: 20 Maven
    I installed NVIDIA CUDA 10.1, but when going to Rapidminer Studio-Settings Preferences-General-Deep Learning Back End I set it GPU but it says I need CUDA 9.0 environment. Is 10.1 no backwards compatible with CUDA 9.0? I am running a Nvidia 2080 RTX Max-Q. Thank you.
  • varunm1varunm1 Moderator, Member Posts: 1,207 Unicorn
    Hello @mortiz

Nope, you should uninstall and install the 9.0 version of CUDA. But from what I heard CUDA 9.0 is not compatible with RTX 2080.

So, I guess it might not be possible, but give 9.0 a try on RTX.

Regards,
    Varun
    https://www.varunmandalapu.com/

Be Safe. Follow precautions and Maintain Social Distancing