ALL FEATURE REQUESTS HERE ARE MONITORED BY OUR PRODUCT TEAM.

VOTING MATTERS!

IDEAS WITH HIGH NUMBERS OF VOTES (USUALLY ≥ 10) ARE PRIORITIZED IN OUR ROADMAP.

NOTE: IF YOU WISH TO SUGGEST A NEW FEATURE, PLEASE POST A NEW QUESTION AND TAG AS "FEATURE REQUEST". THANK YOU.

Is there any way to speed up the operator search in RapidMiner Studio on Ubuntu?

AndrewAndrew RapidMiner Certified Expert, RapidMiner Certified Master, Member Posts: 47 Guru
edited October 2019 in Product Ideas
I've installed version 9.4 on Ubuntu 18.04. I notice that whenever I type anything in the `search for operators` box, the GUI becomes unresponsive, sometimes for more than a minute, before returning operators that match the search term. I notice also that the CPU load of the java process goes to 100% while the matching is happening. This doesn't happen on Windows where search results are returned much more snappily. My java 8 is openjdk version 222 on Ubuntu and is version 211 on Windows.

Has anyone else seen this and been able to work around it?
2 votes

Open for Voting · Last Updated

PROD-890

Comments

• BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn
    Hi,

yes, I've been seeing this for years on Debian and Ubuntu and reported it at the time. It wasn't fixed since, as Studio usage on Linux is not really widespread. For me, it's just seconds, not minutes, but still annoying. 

The other search box is not affected. 

Regards,
    Balázs
  • AndrewAndrew RapidMiner Certified Expert, RapidMiner Certified Master, Member Posts: 47 Guru
    Sounds like it's a bug
  • BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn
    The developer who took a short look at it called it an inefficiency that's executed by Java differently on Linux (XFree) and on Windows and MacOS. He didn't see an immediate way to fix it. 
  • AndrewAndrew RapidMiner Certified Expert, RapidMiner Certified Master, Member Posts: 47 Guru
    I wonder if an enhancement could be implemented to disable the functionality completely? That way, at least the GUI would be usable.
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    All good points. I will push this to product mgmt as a feature request. If there is enough interest I will push hard to get it on the roadmap. Fair?
    Yes - fair