Generation of .mdmp files

NiharikaNiharika Member Posts: 40 Maven
Hi
I figured that on virtual machine my rapidminer server had been hosted there were some .mdmp files(each around 12GB) getting created in the folder where server has been installed.I per my knowledge these files get created if any process crashes.So can you help me to figure out how it is related in context of RapidMiner because these consume a lot of space on disk probably making the server slow as well.

Answers

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
  • mmichelmmichel Employee, Member Posts: 129 RM Engineering
    Hi Niharika,

the JVM is responsible for creating these dump files. You can deactivate it by setting this java option:
    -XX:-CreateMinidumpOnCrash
    If you don't want to pass this parameter via the start command, you can also add it to the default options by adding it to the $server/bin/standalone.conf(.bat) file.

Cheers,
    Marcel
  • NiharikaNiharika Member Posts: 40 Maven
    Okay just to double check deactivating these won't be an issue as we can keep the track of processes on server from logs.Further by process crashing we mean the process was not able to run successfully on server and some error occurred which might be due to various issues like extension not there on server,some exception occurring while running the process.  
    Further by process crashing we mean the process was not able to run successfully on server
    That sound quite strange. Which RapidMiner Server and Java VM are you using? We could not reproduce the mentioned behavior on our test system. Are you using any specific operators which may produce this dump files?
  • NiharikaNiharika Member Posts: 40 Maven
    Even I am not absolutely sure of the operators but probably we were testing some processes which uses python operator and that process was failing due to extension issue.
    We are using server 9.2 and jre 1.8 
    Hi Niharika,

are you sure that these files were created because of process failures and not by a crash of the JVM?
    So far, we've not observed the dump creation for process errors. I would appreciate it if you could provide a minimal example for the mdmp creation issue.

Thanks,
    Marcel