ALL FEATURE REQUESTS HERE ARE MONITORED BY OUR PRODUCT TEAM.

VOTING MATTERS!

IDEAS WITH HIGH NUMBERS OF VOTES (USUALLY ≥ 10) ARE PRIORITIZED IN OUR ROADMAP.

NOTE: IF YOU WISH TO SUGGEST A NEW FEATURE, PLEASE POST A NEW QUESTION AND TAG AS "FEATURE REQUEST". THANK YOU.

Variable number formats in Write Excel

TripartioTripartio Member Posts: 37 Maven
The Write Excel operator gives the option to specify the number format of the output data:

The problem is that with many different number types, a dataset would have many different number formats. For example, with the default format, the following original data would be saved with the following display formats in RapidMiner:
  • 12345: 12345.0 (should be format "0")
  • €123.45: 123.5 (should be format "#.00")
  • 1.2345: 1.2 (should be format "#.0000")
I am fully aware that Excel records the full original numbers and does not truncate any decimal places or anything; the RapidMiner number format is only for the Excel display format. However, I would like my Excel exports to display meaningfully for different number formats. Is there any way to give such instructions to RapidMiner, that is, to customize the display format of specific attributes in specific ways when exported to Excel, instead of one blanket format for all numbers?

Tagged:
1 votes

Open for Voting · Last Updated

PROD-896

Comments

• Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn
    I don't believe this is possible with the standard write excel operator. It may be something that could be added to the Advanced Reporting extension, though, you should reach out to Old World Computing to discuss your use case.

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts
  • IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hmm, I don't think this is possible with the Read Excel operator.  But maybe this extension here could work for you?
    https://oldworldcomputing.com/en/advanced-reporting-extension/
    Just an idea,
    Ingo
  • TripartioTripartio Member Posts: 37 Maven
    Thanks for the responses.

However, rather than a custom third-party extension, I would far prefer that RapidMiner add an option to the Write Excel operator to just record the numbers with no formatting at all. The current way it works of forcing all numbers into just one format, which never works for me, and probably not for most real-world datasets.

How do I make a formal product request for RapidMiner to add an option like that.

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    hi @Tripartio I can just push this to Product Ideas. That will get it on the request queue.

Scott

• TripartioTripartio Member Posts: 37 Maven
    Thanks, Scott.