Create "savepoints" that allow partial execution of a project.

rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn
Hello folks,

Have you considered an operator that stores the current state of everything (macros, processes) into an object that can be marshalled and used as a different starting point? Like... the Store operator but that stores everything, not just the things we order it to store.

e.g., I build a process that does A, B, C, D, E and F things. I know B and D are expensive in terms of time, so I can put a savepoint for B in case I need to fix something in C, D and E later on but I don't want to go through the pain of executing B and D *again*. Therefore instead of the Play button, I can get a list of savepoints and play from there.

Now, I know I could store things but savepoints could help me building something small, just exploratory, before even organizing my project directory, in a more efficient way.

Is there such a thing in plans?

All the best,

Rodrigo.

Best Answer

Answers

• rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn

Thank you very much for your answer! I'll keep in touch.

All the best,

Rodrigo.

• MichaelKnopfMichaelKnopf Administrator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 31 RM Data Scientist

I have implemented a variant of the Subprocess operator that allow to cache the results of the embedded process. We hope to include it in the next release of the Operator Toolbox.

While similar, this does not address all of you points. Still, I would be interested in your feedback once it's out.
  • MichaelKnopfMichaelKnopf Administrator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 31 RM Data Scientist
    @rfuentealba , the holiday release of the Operator Toolbox includes a first version of the aforementioned operator. See here for more details: https://rapidminer.com/blog/caching-and-unwrapping-some-holiday-joy/

• rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn
    Hello @Michael,

I will try this out today. Apologize for not replying early on, I thought I did. Thank you!

All the best,

Rodrigo.