Graphics don't display on Linux

Eric_LebretonEric_Lebreton Member Posts: 5 Contributor I
edited January 2020 in Help
Hi !
Just starting with RapidMiner. Can't get any graphic displayed as shown in the tutorial. Blank space in the middle area, when the tutorial is showing nice bar charts...
I have tried several (3) recent flavors of Ubuntu on different machines. Same result.
Note that everytime, I had to remove Java 11 to Java 8 to get things starting...

Any suggestion ???

Eric

Comments

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,
    can you check the log for error messages?

One common issue maybe that your linux does not have fxbrowser installed. Can you check this please?

Best,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

Are you using a KDE desktop?

Regards,
    Marco
  • Eric_LebretonEric_Lebreton Member Posts: 5 Contributor I
    Hi Martin & Marco,

Thanx for your prompt replies :
     - Martin : I think you mean jxbrowser since I can't find anything on fxbrowser... ?
       Note thatt I have Firefox and Chromium installed
     - Marco : I tried on standard Ubuntu 18.10 and 19.10, Gnome 3 and XFCE, as well as Ubuntu Mate 19.10 (Gnome 2 I think).

All with same frustrating result...

Eric
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

What is the error you get in the shell when you start Studio? There should be something about "Async: Hardware accelerated browser setup test" in there. Most likely followed by an error.

Regards,
    Marco
    Hi again,

Upon startup :

In the log file, I get one single warning :
    WARNING: Plugin initializer com.rapidminer.extension.cloud.connectivity.PluginInitCloudConnectivity.initGui of Plugin Cloud Connectivity caused an error: null 
    then a bunch of java related explanations.

On the GUI, I get a message "Incompatible extension during startup" Cloud Connectivity Version 9.5.0

If I ignore the message, then the prgram starts normally.

Thank you

Eric

Hi again and again...

1/ Made a complete new fresh installation of Ubuntu 19.10, with all latest updates. Nothing else
    2/ Installed JRE 8 :
         openjdk version "1.8.0_232"
         OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_232-8u232-b09-0ubuntu1.1-b09)
         OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.232-b09, mixed mode)
    3/ Setup ClassPath :
    source /etc/environment => echo $JAVA_HOME => /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/
    4/ Installed RapidMiner fresh

Still same situation ... :'( RapidMiner starts, but no graphics ...

Same warning as before in the log.

Desperation starting to raise ...

Eric
    edited January 2020
    Hi,

Ubuntu 18+ has a problem with the current version and the Chromium browser, we are aware of that. Though so far it was related to KDE desktop, but others may be affected as well. That particular issue should be fixed by the upcoming RapidMiner 9.6 release (early Feb).
    But just to confirm it is actually said problem, would you mind uploading the entire rapidminer-studio.log from your HOME/.RapidMiner folder?

Regards,
    Marco
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    thanks @Marco_Boeck and @mschmitz. Are there any workarounds until 9.6 is released? Maybe @BalazsBarany has a clever idea? :wink:

Scott
  • BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn
    Hi,

for me the Amazon Corretto JVM 8 (Amazon distribution of OpenJDK) works best.
    https://docs.aws.amazon.com/corretto/latest/corretto-8-ug/downloads-list.html

I don't have any problems with charts or graphics on my Kubuntu machine.

Regards,
    Balázs
    Hi all,

This is enough testing from my side. If it can be of more help, see attached log file.
    I will be happy to try new release when it comes up.
    Thanx and regards to all

Eric