Array Index Error during 'Loading Excel File'

JpganucheauJpganucheau Member Posts: 6 Contributor I
edited January 2020 in Help
Every time I try to load any of our company data (which is confidential and I can't post here), I get the following error:

• Exception: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
  • Stack trace:
  • com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.xlsx.XlsxNumberFormats.setCellNumberFormatId(XlsxNumberFormats.java:65)
  • com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.xlsx.XlsxNumberFormatParser.parseNumberFormats(XlsxNumberFormatParser.java:144)
  • com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.xlsx.XlsxResultSet.(XlsxResultSet.java:248)
  • com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.xlsx.XlsxResultSet.(XlsxResultSet.java:329)
  • com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.xlsx.XlsxSheetTableModel.(XlsxSheetTableModel.java:113)
  • com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.ExcelResultSetConfiguration.createExcelTableModel(ExcelResultSetConfiguration.java:216)
  • com.rapidminer.operator.nio.model.ExcelResultSetConfiguration.createExcelTableModel(ExcelResultSetConfiguration.java:193)
  • com.rapidminer.studio.io.data.internal.file.excel.ExcelSheetSelectionPanelModel$1.loadTableModel(ExcelSheetSelectionPanelModel.java:212)
  • com.rapidminer.studio.io.data.internal.file.excel.ExcelSheetSelectionPanelModel$1.run(ExcelSheetSelectionPanelModel.java:176)
  • com.rapidminer.gui.tools.ProgressThread$3.run(ProgressThread.java:586)
  • java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
  • java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
  • java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Any suggetions? (again I'm not allowed to upload our data here for help further)

Best Answer

• JpganucheauJpganucheau Member Posts: 6 Contributor I
    Solution Accepted
    Looks like our BI platform was just exporting corrupt Excel files. Opening it and resaving it again on my machine got it to work. Thanks @sgenzer

Answers

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    hi @Jpganucheau well that's a new one. Can you at least share your setup: RM version, hardware, operating systems, RM license type, etc..?
    RM Studio 9.5.001 (rev: 24d768, platform: OSX) Trial Edition
    MacBook Pro (15inch, 2018) - 2.2GHz 6-Core i7 - 32GB RAM 3200
    MacOS Catalina Version 10.15
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    edited January 2020
    Hi,

May I ask how the Excel files are created? Because I suspect they are not created by hand with a regular Excel version, as that particular error looks like it can only happen if the Excel file violates the ECMA-376, 4th Edition format specification.

What basically happens is that the xlsx file is asked "how many cell formats do you contain?", it says x, and then later on a cell says "hey, my cell format has id x+1". Which means the xlsx file lied in its answer to the first question.

Regards,
    Marco
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    @Jpganucheau thank you for the system config. By sheer chance I have the exact same setup that you do, so if you want you can share the xlsx privately with me via OneDrive (I will send you an invite) and I can test it offline.

Scott
    @Marco_Boeck thank you for that insight, I might be able to pass that along to the people that generate the excel files.
    @sgenzer I'm checking with my superiors to see if I would be able to do that

Thanks,

Jonathan
    @sgenzer I got approved to be able to send you this erroring data set privately via OneDrive. Can you send me an invite? My email is jonathan_ganucheau@tsco.org

Thanks,

Jonathan
    hi @Jpganucheau no problem. Just shared a OneDrive folder with you.

Scott
    @sgenzer I just uploaded the file. Let me know if you can figure out what's wrong, and please keep that file under wraps.

Thanks,

Jonathan