Options

Rapidminer General Question for an Essay

ThomasReThomasRe Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
Hi Rapidminer-Community,

I am new to Rapidminer and Data Science and i have an assignment to write an Essay about something with Data Mining / Data Science.
My idea is to check my pulse over a period of time and note what i have done at the moment of Measurement (2 different types of sport and rest). The main idea is to create an algorithm which predicts the Activity by looking at the puls and the timespan. For example if the pulse is high for about half an hour then its a light activity (Calesthenics) and if the pulse is high for longer period of time 1 - 2 hours then its a different kind of sport like bouldern. I just want to have a distinction by these 3 activitys (rest, calisthenics and bouldern).
My main problem is that when i measure the pulse i just get the current timestamp and i haven't found a way to determin the full duration of the activity.
Here is an example of my dataset:

Time                Pulse  Activity
17:06:00 CET
84.0 Rest
17:20:00 CET
120.0 Calisthenics
17:35:00 CET
111.0 Calisthenics
17:50:00 CET
121.0 Calisthenics
18:01:00 CET 
63.0 Rest

Is there a way to determin the duration of the Calisthenics with the timestamps?

Any help is appreciated.

Best Answer

• Options
    sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    Solution Accepted
    hi @ThomasRe welcome to the community! This is a nice idea but not exactly the simplest one to get started with. :smile: You're dealing with what we call "Time Series" data which is tricky for the beginner.

Have you already started learning RapidMiner Studio? If not, I would strongly recommend spending at least a little time on the RapidMiner Academy: academy.rapidminer.com

Scott

Answers

• Options
    Hi @sgenzer thanks for the quick reply.

I will check out the Rapidminer academy.
    Would it make it a bit easier if i write the duration myself next to the activity and the average pulse in that session?
    Like: Duration: 30 min   avg Pulse: 120  Activity: Calesthenics

• Options
    sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    yes much easier. In fact if you have the data set like that, you can probably just put it into RapidMiner Go which is a lot easier to use: https://go.rapidminer.com
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice i will try it right away!