No attributes to filter on (Filter Examples)

lediankollediankol Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
edited December 2018 in Help

Hello guys!

I have a problem with using Filter Examples. I am using a data that is already in rapidminer ("Repository/Samples/data/Iris"). After putting data in the process I put the Filter Examples and connect them. Then in the parameters I press "Add Filters" but in the left box there are no attributes shown. 

Here is my XML

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><process version="8.1.000">
<operator activated="true" class="retrieve" compatibility="8.1.000" expanded="true" height="68" name="Retrieve Iris" width="90" x="45" y="34">
<parameter key="repository_entry" value="//Samples/data/Iris"/>
</operator>
</process>
<operator activated="true" class="filter_examples" compatibility="8.1.000" expanded="true" height="103" name="Filter Examples" width="90" x="246" y="34">
<parameter key="parameter_expression" value=""/>
<parameter key="condition_class" value="custom_filters"/>
<parameter key="invert_filter" value="false"/>
<list key="filters_list"/>
<parameter key="filters_logic_and" value="true"/>
<parameter key="filters_check_metadata" value="true"/>
</operator>
</process>

Can somebody help with this issue?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Best regards,

Ledian

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted

Usually this is simply a problem of metadata not propagating so RapidMiner can't pre-fill the attribute names.  You can always type the name of the attribute directly and it will work.  Or you can check the option to "synchronize meta data with real data" which is under the "Process" heading in the top menu bar.

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts

Answers

• lionelderkrikorlionelderkrikor Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 1,195 Unicorn

Hi @lediankol

A priori there is a problem with your XML process : it can not be loaded.

Can you verify it ?

Regards,

Lionel

• Edin_KlapicEdin_Klapic Moderator, Employee, RMResearcher, Member Posts: 299 RM Data Scientist

Hi @lediankol,

As @lionelderkrikor said your XML is broken. I attached my version of the process you described and I can select the Attributes to filter by.

Inspecting your XML I could not see the line

<connect from_op="Retrieve Iris" from_port="output" to_op="Filter Examples" to_port="example set input"/>

which would indicate that the Retrieve Operator and the Filter Examples Operator are *not* connected which would explain why Filter Examples does not know about the Attributes.

Best,

Edin

<context>
    <input/>
    <output/>
    <macros/>
    </context>
    <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="8.1.000" expanded="true" name="Process">
    <process expanded="true">
    <operator activated="true" class="retrieve" compatibility="8.1.000" expanded="true" height="68" name="Retrieve Iris" width="90" x="179" y="34">
    </operator>
    <operator activated="true" class="filter_examples" compatibility="8.1.000" expanded="true" height="103" name="Filter Examples" width="90" x="313" y="34">
    </operator>
    <connect from_op="Retrieve Iris" from_port="output" to_op="Filter Examples" to_port="example set input"/>
    <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
    </process>
    </operator>
    </process>
  • lediankollediankol Member Posts: 3 Contributor I

Hi to all and thank you for your replies!

Typing the name of the attribute directly does work but I was thinking maybe I could fix this issue. I checked the option to "synchronize meta data with real data" which is under the "Process" but still the same thing. So hopefully this time you have the correct XML.

<operator activated="true" class="retrieve" compatibility="8.1.000" expanded="true" height="68" name="Retrieve Iris" width="90" x="112" y="34">
    </operator>
    </process>
    <operator activated="true" class="filter_examples" compatibility="8.1.000" expanded="true" height="103" name="Filter Examples" width="90" x="246" y="34">
    <parameter key="parameter_expression" value=""/>
    <parameter key="condition_class" value="custom_filters"/>
    <parameter key="invert_filter" value="false"/>
    <parameter key="filters_logic_and" value="true"/>
    <parameter key="filters_check_metadata" value="true"/>
    </operator>
    </process>

Thank you again for your time.

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

@lediankol No, this XML is still bad. You have to open the XML panel and copy and paste it from there.

Your XML will get corrupted if you just select the operators with a crossing window and copy and paste.

• lediankollediankol Member Posts: 3 Contributor I

@Thomas_Ott Thank you for your comment.

This my first time posting a question here and I did exactly what the video tutorial suggested for posting for the first time... 

So now I dropped Iris data in the process and then conected Filter Examples. Then I pressed in the search option (on the right corner) XML: Display Panel XML. Maybe you mean this XML if I understand correctly.

<context>
    <input/>
    <output/>
    <macros/>
    </context>
    <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="8.1.000" expanded="true" name="Process">
    <process expanded="true">
    <operator activated="true" class="retrieve" compatibility="8.1.000" expanded="true" height="68" name="Retrieve Iris" width="90" x="112" y="85">
    </operator>
    <operator activated="true" class="filter_examples" compatibility="8.1.000" expanded="true" height="103" name="Filter Examples" width="90" x="313" y="85">
    </operator>
    <connect from_op="Filter Examples" from_port="example set output" to_port="result 1"/>
    <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
    </process>
    </operator>
    </process>

Kind Regards,

Ledian

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

@lediankol Yes, that's what I mean. The XML is now correct and I managed to load it into my Studio. That said, I'm getting all the metadata from the Iris data set, I can see all the attributes in the Filter Example. 

Filter Example.png

• MoslemMoslem Member Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited April 2020
    Hi,
    I have the same problem and I don't know, how to getting metadata from different data set. sometimes, I select Iris data set and select "synchronize metadata with real data" the problem was solved. but, when I changed the dataset from Iris to Titanic There was the same problem.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><process version="9.6.000"><div>&nbsp; <context></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; <input/></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; <output/></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; <macros/></div><div>&nbsp; </context></div><div>&nbsp; <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="9.6.000" expanded="true" name="Process"></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; <parameter key="logverbosity" value="init"/></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; <parameter key="random_seed" value="2001"/></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; <parameter key="send_mail" value="never"/></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; <parameter key="notification_email" value=""/></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; <parameter key="process_duration_for_mail" value="30"/></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; <parameter key="encoding" value="SYSTEM"/></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; <process expanded="true"></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <operator activated="true" class="retrieve" compatibility="9.6.000" expanded="true" height="68" name="Retrieve Titanic" width="90" x="112" y="85"></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <parameter key="repository_entry" value="//Samples/data/Titanic"/></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; </operator></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <operator activated="true" class="filter_examples" compatibility="9.6.000" expanded="true" height="103" name="Filter Examples" width="90" x="313" y="85"></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <parameter key="parameter_expression" value=""/></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <parameter key="condition_class" value="custom_filters"/></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <parameter key="invert_filter" value="false"/></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <list key="filters_list"></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <parameter key="filters_entry_key" value=".eq."/></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; </list></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <parameter key="filters_logic_and" value="true"/></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <parameter key="filters_check_metadata" value="true"/></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; </operator></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <connect from_op="Retrieve Titanic" from_port="output" to_op="Filter Examples" to_port="example set input"/></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; </process></div><div>&nbsp; </operator></div><div></process></div>