Installation on ubuntu crashes with XML parser class loading issues

aleksandar_jovanovaleksandar_jovanov Member Posts: 11 Contributor II
edited May 2020 in Help
Hello fellow forum members.

I have tried following the previous guides but downgrading from OpenJDK 11 to OpenJDK 8 did not help and neither did --add-modules help with the dreaded XML parsing errors.

Here is my uname:

5.3.0-51-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 22 21:09:44 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Here is my OpenJDK version

openjdk version "1.8.0_252"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_252-8u252-b09-1~19.10-b09)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.252-b09, mixed mode)

Here is the crash log

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/xml/bind/DatatypeConverter
        at com.rapidminer.license.verification.JarVerifier.createPublicKey(JarVerifier.java:267)
        at com.rapidminer.license.verification.JarVerifier.<clinit>(JarVerifier.java:137)
        at com.rapidminer.launcher.GUILauncher.main(GUILauncher.java:286)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.xml.bind.DatatypeConverter
        at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:581)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:178)
        at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:522)
        ... 3 more

This is newest version downloaded a few days ago, on an academic license.

As I need RapidMiner to do my homeworks I would be very glad if this were solved on a shorter notice.

Anyone has any idea how to fix?

Thank you all.

Stay healthy.

Best Answer

• aleksandar_jovanovaleksandar_jovanov Member Posts: 11 Contributor II
    Solution Accepted
    Fixed it by the following

At line 49 I've added

JAVA=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/bin/java

And now it launches correctly.

I assume my initial issue was due to having both fish and bash installed on my system so there was some mixup with global variables and configs between the two.

I had one other problem that it causes my system RAM to overload on first run so I had to do a restart. On second start it offered to start without extensions, and without them it works correctly now.

Thank you Marco for your help.

Answers

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    edited May 2020
    Hi,

I'm afraid you're still running it with a higher Java version than 8. That is the single one cause of that error.
    When you type in java -version in the same shell you're starting the RapidMiner-Studio.sh with, what do you get? And what do you get when calling echo $JAVA_HOME?

Regards,
    Marco
    Hello Marco. Thank you for your answer but that did not help me.

So I am on ubuntu 19.10 and first I tried to run RapidMiner with OpenJDK 11.

That crashed with the same XML error.

Here are the alternatives I have now.

sudo update-alternatives --config java

There are 2 choices for the alternative java (providing /usr/bin/java).

Selection    Path                                            Priority   Status
    ------------------------------------------------------------
      0            /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/bin/java      1111      auto mode
      1            /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/bin/java      1111      manual mode
    * 2            /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java   1081      manual mode

Does this status 1081 mean anything to you?

> When you type in java -version in the same shell you're starting the RapidMiner-Studio.sh with, what do you get? And what do you get when calling echo $JAVA_HOME?

> java -version
    openjdk version "1.8.0_252"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_252-8u252-b09-1~19.10-b09)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.252-b09, mixed mode)

Thank you.

Regards,
    Aleksandar Jovanov

Found the problem.

In the shell it is pointing to Java 8 but inside from the script it somehow reads /usr/bin/java as Java 11.

RAPIDMINER_HOME is not set. Trying the directory '/home/aleksandar/Apps/rapidminer-studio'...
    /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.11.0-openjdk-amd64//bin/java (comes from echo $JAVA I've added)