NOTE: IF YOU WISH TO REPORT A NEW BUG, PLEASE POST A NEW QUESTION AND TAG AS "BUG REPORT". THANK YOU.

BUG Report: 2GB memory leak on drag and drop of 'Write to CSV' operator into process

aleksandar_jovanovaleksandar_jovanov Member Posts: 11 Contributor II
edited May 2020 in Product Feedback
Process is very simple read CSV, project 3 attributes, k-means (fast) cluster, extract prototypes.

When I try to insert the write to CSV operator there is a sudden 2GB spike in RAM use and I have to force quit Rapid Miner Studio. Verified by observing the same behaviour 3 times leading me to have to restart the PC three times.

Java:  JDK 8
Rapid Miner Version: 9.6 Academic License
Tagged:
0 votes

Scheduled for Release · Last Updated

Comments

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

Where exactly do you want to drop the Write CSV operator on, and from where do you drag it?
    I could not reproduce this on Windows when dragging out of the Operator panel, neither into empty space, nor on the data connection from the last operator. Nothing out of the ordinary happens, no increased memory consumption at all.

Regards,
    Marco
  • aleksandar_jovanovaleksandar_jovanov Member Posts: 11 Contributor II
    I am on **Linux** not Windows.

Here is a screencast to help you see what is happening. Notice the sudden spike in RAM when using Right Click menu. This time it worked with Drag and Drop but previously it also causes RAM spikes with it as well.

Because one can't upload WebM's to this forum here is the screencast on my Google Drive

> You have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links.

https :// drive.google.com/ file/d/ 18E6qQ8qaaJ1NhW6yTMtRl1XMHncBYHVy/view?usp=sharing

Please assemble the link manually as I can't post due to restrictions of the forum.
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    hi @aleksandar_jovanov I just boosted your rank so you can post links and images now.

Scott
  • aleksandar_jovanovaleksandar_jovanov Member Posts: 11 Contributor II
    Thank you @sgenzer

Here is the link in full glory

This time I was able to capture sudden growth of around 700MB as I had to kill RapidMiner before it would overload the system again.

Hope this will be helpful in your development

Regards,
    Aleksandar
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    ok thank you @aleksandar_jovanov. Let's see what Engineering has to say. 

cc @Marco_Boeck
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

RapidMiner Studio needs at least 4 GB of RAM as described in the system requirements.
    However, I suggest not using the popup menu right now, because it causes an instantiation of all operators contained within for technical reasons, which likely causes the memory spike.
    Thank you for reporting this, we have removed the likely cause of the memory spike when using the right-click menu in upcoming version 9.7.

Regards,
    Marco