Multiple Monitor Problem

dragoljubdragoljub Member Posts: 241 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hey Everyone, RM 5 is looking great, however I have one quite strange issue.

When I create a new view and un-dock windows, (for example the parameter window) and drag it to on or my left or right secondary monitors. When I switch between views RM will crash and prevent from switching back to other views.

It would be very nice to allow full screen process view, and have secondary monitors for changing parameters and monitoring the memory usage.

UPDATE:

I have spent the last few minutes working on RM stretched across 2 monitors. I set it up so that the left half was process  parameters and the right was the process flow. (All within one RM main window). Again, whenever you attempt to edit parameters on the secondary monitor RM hangs.

-Gagi

Answers

• landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi Gagi,
    this works for me. Which operating system do you use?

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • dragoljubdragoljub Member Posts: 241 Contributor II
    I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. The problems might be related to the java version I have. Any suggestions?  ???

Thanks,
    -Gagi
  • landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    no idea. My computer still runs XP, so I cannot check that. Are you using the latest java version?

What exactly happens if you drag an undocked window it to the secondary monitor?

Greetings,
      Sebastian
    For example if I keep the main RM window on the center screen and detach the parameter window and slide it over to a second monitor. Everything works OK until I click on the process parameter window on the secondary monitor to make parameter changes. At that point the no clicks are registered on either the second RM window or the main RM window. If I minimize RM the screen turns black and I am forced to kill the application. This also happens if the main window is streched across 2 screens.

Basically any click outside the default monitor on the RM window will result in RM hanging.

-Gagi
    Hi,
    I hope we will have a Windows 7 PC in near future to test this. Does anybody else experience the same issue? I don't think we ca do much about this anyway. Seems to be a bug in Windows 7 together with Java. Are you using a 64 bit java?

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • holgerholger Member Posts: 42 Contributor II
    >> Same issue?
    Yes, I've observed that some panels fail to repaint when being detached from the main-window and are located on the secondary screen.

-Holger
    I am using:

Java SE Runtime Environment build 1.6.0_18-b07
    Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.0-b12, mixed mode)

Any suggestions on which java versions to use? I'm still not sure which java version RM invokes, since it will run fine without any java being installed it probably comes with its own version.

-Gagi
    Hi,
    thank you Holger, thank you Gagi,
    we will try to reproduce it here. But I doubt we can do anything about it. Does not sound like one of our errors to me :)

Greetings,
      Sebastian