Options

Why does a correctly formatted Excel date import as a long row of nominal numbers?

SkyTraderSkyTrader Member Posts: 88 Contributor II
edited July 2020 in Help
Hi there,
Wondering why my correctly formatted (short date) in Excel  (dd/mm/yyyy) imports as a long row of nominal numbers when using
xlsx?

I've seen a huge amount of coverage on this but nothing that addresses the reason why a string of (meaningless to me!) nominal numbers would somehow be easier to interpret? Particularly if your reason for using RM is to predict the future price of assets, i.e. so when looking within Data you'd want to see dates not a string of number. I did try the operator to converts nomiunal to date but it did nothing and I still was left with nominal numbers?

I've only been able to get dates to appear if I first convert my xlsx into a csv file first. What are the reasons/advantages/disadvantages to either importing an xlsx file or a csv into RM (apart from, in the case of a csv, to be able to see actual dates)?
Cheers,

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Thanks Telecontar120, I'll take another look when I've finished the current project I'm working on.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Oddly I can now import xlsx files today using the repository/import data and the dates show as Jan 3, 2000 now. I don't know why as I haven't changed the Excel file (I just used the original extension I always use which is xlsx)?

What are the reasons/advantages/disadvantages to either importing an xlsx file or a csv into RM?
    Cheers,