Tutorial for the "JSON processing with jq" extension

BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn
edited March 2020 in Knowledge Base
You might have some complex JSON documents that you'd like to process in RapidMiner. This tutorial demonstrates the functionality of the JSON processing with jq extension.
The first step is to install the extension from the Marketplace if you don't have it yet. Click the Extensions/Marketplace menu entry, and in the Marketplace window, enter JSON in the search box. Select the extension for installation, and let Studio restart itself when the installation is done.

Let's play with a publicly available data set from the Vienna Open Data server.
Here's a list of playgrounds in the city of Vienna, with some attributes and even geocoordinates:
https://www.data.gv.at/katalog/dataset/bd8b518b-d812-46f9-b367-4c1b660cfc99 
When you go there, you see a list of documents in different formats, we're obviously interested in the JSON document, with this URL.

The simplest RapidMiner process to get the contents of this URL and process them with jq looks like this:

In Open File, you set the resource type to URL, and paste the URL of the JSON resource. In Read Document uncheck "extract text only", as we don't want to change the input. Then add a Process Document with jq operator and connect its input and output ports.

By default, Process Document with jq is set up for JSON output, indenting (formatting) the resulting JSON document, and with the simplest jq expression ".", which just copies (and formats) the incoming document.
So we get the first result from the process:

The document contains a kind of a header (type: FeatureCollection and totalFeatures from the GeoJSON standard), and an array of "features" (the playgrounds).

We're interested in the name (ANL_NAME), the playground details (SPIELPLATZ_DETAIL), and the geocoordinates of every playground. 
To develop the jq expression, we go to jqplay.org and paste the JSON data into JSON field. The we interactively begin to develop the expression to select the data we want.

The first step is ".features". This selects the features array (discarding the header), and returns every element as an object of one large array.
If we change this to ".features[]", we get a list of different objects, which is better for further processing.
In jq, we use the pipe symbol | for processing steps. Now we list the elements we want after a pipe. The expression is: 
.features[] | [.properties.ANL_NAME, .properties.SPIELPLATZ_DETAIL, .geometry.coordinates[0], .geometry.coordinates[1] ]

This gives us a nice flat structure that we can easily process with RapidMiner, especially if we let the operator convert it to CSV. 

(Uncheck "first row as names" in the Read CSV operator, and change the separator to comma.)
The result is a normal RapidMiner example set:

Check out the documentation of jq if you need to process even more complex documents. jq offers additional functionality like extracting a variable length array of values (like tags) to a table structure, or counting elements, regular expression replacements, etc. 
Tagged:

Comments

• BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn
    Note: It seems that there are problems using the extension with the Free edition of RapidMiner. 
    In paid/trial/educational it might be necessary to set "Grant additional permissions to unsigned extensions" in the Preferences on the Startup tab.
  • pacogpacog Member Posts: 2 Newbie
    does it currently work? I alway have an error while reading json files or URLs:

"The Execute jq script operator in this process failed" 

Just used the default values with operators "open file" and "read document"
  • BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn
    Hi!

It works in my Studio 9.7.002 with the aforementioned limitation (Grant additional permissions ...).

The library I'm using is doing some operations that RapidMiner doesn't like. 

If the extension doesn't work for you, you can right-click the operator, "Open defining process", and use it as a subprocess with macro parametrization. You remove the first five operators that create macros from the operator parameters, and create the same macros in the process context. Then you save the process and use it in other processes by specifying the parameters with the Macros button.

Regards,
    Balázs
  • pacogpacog Member Posts: 2 Newbie
    magic!! without doing anything but restart several times rapidminer, now it works!!! I also have 9.7.002 version.

thanks anyway!
  • SanSan Member Posts: 15 Contributor I
    Hello @BalazsBarany , as you mentioned in the community page about using process document with jq. I tried deleting the first 5 macro operators from the sunprocess and added to macros list and run the process. Still the jq script is failing to run giving the java.lang error. Please help me with the process. I am trying to achieve document similarity by giving json as input to process documents and get the result in table then convert into json back.
    Hi,

I don't know anything about your process, nor the error message. I need more details to be able to help you.

In the process, the macros you define have to have the exact same names as they used to in the deleted parameter operators. If that's OK, we must find out what causes the error. It could be a wrong JQ expression (which you can check on jqplay.com), something with the data, or a problem with the script.

Regards,
    Balázs
  • amnonkhenamnonkhen Member Posts: 6 Contributor II
    Hello,
    Thanks for this tutorial.
    Has anyone been able to solve the permissions error that happens for the community edition?
    I mean the one causing this error message:
    'Process Document with jq' failed with: The given script violated security constraints of RapidMiner Studio.
    Thanks,
    Amnon Khen
    Unfortunately (for this extension, but fortunately for the overall situation), RapidMiner is tightening the security of scripts executed in Studio.

More and more customers are using RapidMiner on servers or in the cloud where the scripting would allow things that aren't well defined in that environment. 

You can try with "Grant additional permissions to unsigned extensions" in the Settings => Start-up form. If that doesn't work, you can try downgrading Studio to an older version. 

My test process for the extension still works in my Studio 9.10.0, but there is no guarantee that the extension will still be usable in future versions. It would be cool to have this functionality in a native operator, but that requires a Java programmer which I am not.

Regards,
    Balázs

• amnonkhenamnonkhen Member Posts: 6 Contributor II
    Thanks, Balázs.
    I even tried writing my own script and RM blocked it due to security reasons.
    This is very strange. It is my own code, running on my own computer.
    It would be nice to be able to personally approve this specific extension on my computer.
    Kind regards,
    Amnon
  • suzan_rsuzan_r Member Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited December 2021
    Hello Balázs,

I have a question about the Process document with Jq function.

I want to use read a Json file, but for some reason when I process it I get only the first message of the file. I compared the results after the read document function and the Process document with iq function and it seems that only 1 message gets through.

When I copy the file in jqplay.org, I do get the expected result. So I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

When I use the Json file from your example it seems to be working fine, so that is also strange.

Kind regards
    Suzan

Hi Suzan,

that's interesting. Can you add more details, like example contents of the file and the JQ expression you're using?

jqplay.org uses the original jq utility, but the RapidMiner extension uses a Java reimplementation, they might work differently in subtle ways.

Regards,

Balázs
  • greyulvgreyulv Member Posts: 4 Learner I
    edited April 2022
    @BalazsBarany need help with JSON processing with jq. 

Need Help: The Parameters in the jq expression does not work as the jqplay.org playground Filters and Results

In my simple JSON data:

{
        "eventid": "94f707a8-ddde-46e2-99f1-3c83ca83499b",
        "visitorid": "01761ba7286200062a2a96d59d1a03072013906a00bd0"
    }
    {
        "eventid": "4b560bdf-de4b-45f1-a6c2-32cd8e68e2bc",
        "visitorid": "0172dfb7b47f001ae614ab3b7c4801077001e06f0093c
    }

only produces the following:

As you can see above only the first element displays.  Also, how would we get the Keys as the Attribute names?

Environment: Windows 64bit, RM 9.10.001 (educational)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><process version="9.10.001">
      <context>
        <input/>
        <output/>
        <macros/>
      </context>
      <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="9.10.001" expanded="true" name="Process">
        <parameter key="logverbosity" value="init"/>
        <parameter key="random_seed" value="2001"/>
        <parameter key="send_mail" value="never"/>
        <parameter key="notification_email" value=""/>
        <parameter key="process_duration_for_mail" value="30"/>
        <parameter key="encoding" value="SYSTEM"/>
        <process expanded="true">
          <operator activated="true" class="open_file" compatibility="9.10.001" expanded="true" height="68" name="Open File" width="90" x="112" y="34">
            <parameter key="resource_type" value="file"/>
            <parameter key="filename" value="E:/somexample.json"/>
          </operator>
          <operator activated="true" class="text:read_document" compatibility="9.4.000" expanded="true" height="68" name="Read Document" width="90" x="246" y="34">
            <parameter key="extract_text_only" value="false"/>
            <parameter key="use_file_extension_as_type" value="true"/>
            <parameter key="content_type" value="txt"/>
          </operator>
          <operator activated="true" class="json_processing_with_jq:process_document_with_jq" compatibility="0.8.001" expanded="true" height="68" name="Process Document with jq" width="90" x="380" y="34">
            <parameter key="indent_json" value="true"/>
            <parameter key="jq_expression" value=".eventid"/>
            <parameter key="output_format" value="json"/>
          </operator>
          <operator activated="true" class="text:write_document" compatibility="9.4.000" expanded="true" height="82" name="Write Document" width="90" x="514" y="34">
            <parameter key="overwrite" value="true"/>
          </operator>
          <operator activated="true" class="read_csv" compatibility="9.10.001" expanded="true" height="68" name="Read CSV" width="90" x="782" y="34">
            <parameter key="column_separators" value=";"/>
            <parameter key="trim_lines" value="false"/>
            <parameter key="use_quotes" value="true"/>
            <parameter key="quotes_character" value="&quot;"/>
            <parameter key="escape_character" value="\"/>
            <parameter key="skip_comments" value="false"/>
            <parameter key="comment_characters" value="#"/>
            <parameter key="starting_row" value="1"/>
            <parameter key="parse_numbers" value="true"/>
            <parameter key="decimal_character" value="."/>
            <parameter key="grouped_digits" value="false"/>
            <parameter key="grouping_character" value=","/>
            <parameter key="infinity_representation" value=""/>
            <parameter key="date_format" value=""/>
            <parameter key="first_row_as_names" value="false"/>
            <list key="annotations"/>
            <parameter key="time_zone" value="SYSTEM"/>
            <parameter key="locale" value="English (United States)"/>
            <parameter key="read_all_values_as_polynominal" value="true"/>
            <list key="data_set_meta_data_information"/>
            <parameter key="read_not_matching_values_as_missings" value="true"/>
          </operator>
          <connect from_op="Open File" from_port="file" to_op="Read Document" to_port="file"/>
          <connect from_op="Read Document" from_port="output" to_op="Process Document with jq" to_port="input 1"/>
          <connect from_op="Process Document with jq" from_port="result 1" to_op="Write Document" to_port="document"/>
          <connect from_op="Write Document" from_port="file" to_op="Read CSV" to_port="file"/>
          <connect from_op="Read CSV" from_port="output" to_port="result 1"/>
          <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
        </process>
      </operator>
    </process>

Hi!

Your JSON structure is actually not correct, objects need to be separated with commas.

The official JQ is tolerant enough with this.

The Java reimplementation used in the extension is apparently not. 
    You might want to fix the JSON. For example, replace "^\}$" with "\},$" in the string and then put [ ] around it so it results in a correct JSON array structure.

Regards,
    Balázs
  • data123data123 Member Posts: 23 Maven
    edited June 2022
    Hi @suzan_r, were you able to solve the issue you reported? I have a similar issue. I am only getting the first line of the file but the outcome is as expected with jq play.

Regards
    Anthony
    Hi @BalazsBarany, I get the following error when i replicate and run the process. Any ideas?

Regards
    Anthony
    Hi,

can you post the process or at least the relevant parameters of the jq operator and an example of the incoming data?

Does the same transformation work in JQPlay?

Regards,
    Balázs
    edited June 2022
    After restarting rapidminer (and my PC), the error disappeared. Thank you for the prompt response.Balazs.
  • greyulvgreyulv Member Posts: 4 Learner I
    @BalazsBarany I have been using this tutorial and found the following:

This is if I follow instructions in the post using the convert operator to CSV.  If though I change the column seperator to "\n" to account for newlines.  I get the following:

Please advise:

Environment: Windows 64bit, RM 9.10.001 (educational)

Hi!

Your process almost works.

1. Check the encoding setting in Read Document. The source document is in UTF-8, and your operating system isn't, so the default setting (SYSTEM) is not sufficient on your computer. Change it to UTF-8 to avoid getting the strange special characters.
    2. Change output format in Process Document with jq to CSV. The tutorial is supposed to explain how you get tabular data, and that's where the CSV output is more helpful.
    3. In Read CSV change the separator back to ,

The process works for me with these changes. Your attempt deliver JSON (in the wrong encoding) and then tries to process that with Read CSV. 

Regards,
    Balázs
  • ivaneivane Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
    Hi Balazs

I managed to used the Process Document with jq, however, if the json file has null array how can I modify the operator so that it will ignore this null array and continue with the rest of the non-null arrays in the json file?

Thanks
    Ivan
  • ivaneivane Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
    Got it working by adding ? at the end - this is like try and ignore if it is empty