RapidMiner 9.7 AI Hub BYOL image on Azure

christos_karraschristos_karras Member Posts: 50 Guru
edited September 2020 in Help
I created a RapidMiner 9.7 AI Hub Bring your own license image on the Azure marketplace (for testing), but I can't find any documentation about additional setup steps that need to be done once that image is created, for example:
- How to setup my license
- How to enable access to the web interface
- Anything else that needs to be done to have a fully functionnal image

Currently, I'm only able to login the VM using SSH. Once logged in, I can use "sudo docker ps" and see that a few Docker images are running, but several other images related to RapidMiner are installed but not running. 

Where can I find the procedure to complete the setup?

Tagged:

Answers

• christos_karraschristos_karras Member Posts: 50 Guru
    After looking at somewhat related documents and browsing the Docker containers and Docker Compose config files, I found the following information to make progress:

- Looking at the logs of the "rapidminer/rapidminer-deployment-init" container (using "docker logs"), I saw that it was stuck waiting for the server to be started with a valid license, with this message being continuously repeated: " Waiting for RapidMiner Server startup and license load to initialize role/group mirroring"

- I then tried copying the license to a new folder named /rapidminer/resources/licenses (name of the license file doesn't appear to matter). However, note that the path is not the one suggested in the document for the Docker image, which would be /persistent-rapidminer-home/resources/licenses

- After copying the license, some containers had to be restarted (which I did by rebooting the whole VM)

- After this restart, additional RapidMiner related containers were succesfully started

- Now, I needed to find the default password for the admin user in the RapidMiner web interface. To find it, I had to use "docker ps" to find the container ID of the "rapidminer/rapidminer-keycloak" image, then use "docker exec -i -t <id_of_the_container> /bin/bash -c set" to view environement variables and find the value of the KEYBLOCK_PASSWORD variable. I then used this password to successfully login the web interface.

This is not really a straightforward process and I don't know yet if I need to do anything else to have a fully setup AI Hub image, for example for Git, Grafana, Jupyter. Also it would have been impossible to figure out all of this for someone with no Docker experience. It would be useful to have a documented procedure specific to the Azure marketplace image (if it doesn't already exist)

Thanks

• tkeneztkenez Employee, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 22 RM Product Management

Thank you for this feedback. Unfortunately our docs are lagging behind in describing accurately how to start cloud images in AWS and Azure. We'll get on it and fix the descriptions.
    Otherwise, are you still stuck somewhere, is something not working properly on your deployment that you couldn't figure out?

Thanks,
    Tamas