Options

Market basket analysis data preprocess

newjop228newjop228 Member Posts: 3 Learner I
edited October 2020 in Help
Hi all! I am extremely new to Rapidminer (only got introduced recently). I am trying to conduct a market basket analysis with the given CSV file. The example is something like this:

ID,Item
C1,yogurt,cheese roll,cat pork
C2,chicken,yogurt,pork,soda,whipped/sour cream
C3,beef
C4,onions,liquor
C5,soda,whipped/sour cream
C2000,soda,cheese roll,yogurt

I understand I will need to apply FP-Growth followed by Association rule in Rapidminer. I have read through a few previous post but can't understand how to process this set of data.

I am trying to get it into a binary matrix where it will be like then apply the association rule.

Is there an easy way in Rapidminer 9.8 that can quickly transform this set of data into binary matrix or any other ways to preprocessed this kind of data for market basket analysis? If yes, how should I do it?

End result should be something like:
     yogurt   cheese roll....
C1    1               1
C2    1               0
C3    0               0
where x axis will be all the unique products in the basket
y axis is the customer ID

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Hey @mschmitz , thanks for the reply!

Cool that is great! I have tested it out but my results show nothing.

Operators:
    Retrieve -> FP-Growth -> Create association rules -> output

Results:
    FrequentItemSet(FP-growth) - no itemset found
    AssociationRules(Create association rules) - No rules found

Any idea?
  • Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,507 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,
    did you try to lower the min_support setting of FP-Growth? This basically controls how strong the rule needs to be to find it. The lower the more results you get.

Cheers,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    Thanks @mschmitz. May I ask one last thing - for association rule, do I have to arrange the products to have an effective analysis? That is, column 1 will be "yogurt" and all customerID, column 2 will be "chicken". Or the association rule do not require me to arrange these products?
  • Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,507 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,
    order should not make a difference.

Best,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany