RapidMiner Studio Hangs on Launch "Initializing Plugin GUI"

tim_davistim_davis Member Posts: 5 Contributor I
edited December 2018 in Help

RapidMiner Studio 8.2 on MacOS 10.13.4

When I launch RapidMiner Studio, the program starts to load, but hangs on the step "Initializing Plugin GUI" and wont finish loading.  If I disable "Initialize Extensions" the the program will load, but obviously it will not have any extensions, including "Auto Model".  What is the root cause of this problem and how can I solve it beyond just disabling "Initialize Extentions"?  It does not seem to be related to any individual extension as if I disable all of them in the extension manager, it doesn't solve this problem.  

Answers

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

hi @tim_davis - seems that one extension is causing the problem. You can enable / disable them one by one in the Extensions --> Manage Extensions" menu. I'd try there.

Scott

• tim_davistim_davis Member Posts: 5 Contributor I

That is not the problem.  I deleted all the extension I could in the manage extension dialog and that did not resolve the issue.  I mentioned this in my initial post.  

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

oops sorry @tim_davis my error. In that case I would recommend making a backup copy of your .RapidMiner folder and then empty the folder completely out. When you restart RapidMiner, it will make fresh versions of all those files.

Scott

What is the normal path to this directory?  I can't seem to find it.

• lionelderkrikorlionelderkrikor Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 1,195 Unicorn

Hi @tim_davis,

the .RapidMiner folder is (by default) stored at the following location : 

C:\Users\Username

Regards,

Lionel

I deleted the directory /Users/"username"/.RapidMiner, but that does not seem to have changed the situation at all.  The behavior was exactly the same the next time I tried to launch RapidMiner Studio, and the directory was recreated during that launch.  

ok I'm starting to see what's going on here. You're starting this from the CL so that's already unusual. And the hang is not on an extension - that's all default stuff. Can you please send your rapidminer-studio.log file to me via PM?

Scott

• morrgraymorrgray Member Posts: 2 Contributor I

Hi, did you solve the problem? If yes, please share the solution.  I have the same problem. 

• daniel_sonnetdaniel_sonnet Member, University Professor Posts: 7 University Professor
    I have the same issue. Did you solve the problem? Thanks a lot. 
  • jczogallajczogalla Employee, Member Posts: 144 RM Engineering
    can you share your rapidminer-studio.log file? You can find it in your .RapidMiner user folder.
    Cheers
    Jan
  • daniel_sonnetdaniel_sonnet Member, University Professor Posts: 7 University Professor
    Hi  @jczogalla
    thank you. I have to mention that I had been using Rapidminer 8.X and it just worke fine, till I update to 9.1. Now it takes ages for RapidMiner to start. Here is the log file. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Jan 17, 2019 2:46:20 PM com.rapidminer.gui.RapidMinerGUI run
    INFORMATION: Launching RapidMiner 9.1.000, platform WIN64
    Jan 17, 2019 2:46:20 PM com.rapidminer.tools.I18N <clinit>
    INFO: Set locale to en.
    Jan 17, 2019 2:46:24 PM com.rapidminer.core.license.ProductConstraintManager initialize
    INFO: Initializing license manager.
    Jan 17, 2019 2:46:24 PM com.rapidminer.core.license.ProductConstraintManager initialize
    INFO: Using default license location.
    INFO: Registering default product.
    Jan 17, 2019 2:46:24 PM com.rapidminer.search.GlobalSearchRegistry registerSearchCategory
    INFO: Global Search category repository registered.
    Jan 17, 2019 2:46:24 PM com.rapidminer.tools.plugin.Plugin registerPlugins
    INFO: Register plugin: Cloud Connectivity
    INFO: Register plugin: Cloud Execution
    INFO: Register plugin: Data Editor
    INFO: Register plugin: H2O
    INFO: Register plugin: Model Simulator
    INFO: Register plugin: Operator Recommender
    INFO: Register plugin: Process Scheduling
    INFO: Register plugin: Advanced File Connectors
    INFO: Register plugin: Blending
    INFO: Register plugin: Concurrency
    INFO: Register plugin: JDBC Connectors
    INFO: Register plugin: Legacy Result Access
    INFO: Register plugin: Productivity
    INFO: Register plugin: Professional
    INFO: Register plugin: Remote Repository
    INFO: Register plugin: Social Media
    INFO: Register plugin: Time Series
    Jan 17, 2019 2:46:26 PM com.rapidminer.tools.config.ConfigurationManager register
    INFO: Registered configurator Twitter Connection.
    Jan 17, 2019 2:46:26 PM com.rapidminer.tools.config.ConfigurationManager register
    INFO: Registered configurator Salesforce Connection.
    INFO: Registered configurator Amazon S3 Connection.
    INFO: Registered configurator Azure Blob Storage Connection.
    INFO: Registered configurator Google Cloud Storage Connection.
    INFO: Registered configurator Dropbox Connection.
    Jan 17, 2019 2:46:28 PM com.rapidminer.extension.jdbc.tools.jdbc.JDBCProperties <init>
    WARNING: Missing database driver class name for ODBC Bridge (e.g. Access)
    Jan 17, 2019 2:46:28 PM com.rapidminer.extension.jdbc.tools.jdbc.JDBCProperties <init>
    WARNING: Missing database driver class name for Ingres
    Jan 17, 2019 2:46:29 PM com.rapidminer.repository.RepositoryManager registerExtensionSamples
    INFO: Registered 'Time Series' as sample folder.
    Jan 17, 2019 2:46:35 PM com.rapidminer.tools.plugin.Plugin initAll
    INFO: Extension Process Scheduling was loaded in 118ms.
    INFO: Extension Remote Repository was loaded in 124ms.
    INFO: Extension Concurrency was loaded in 127ms.
    INFO: Extension Advanced File Connectors was loaded in 167ms.
    INFO: Extension Blending was loaded in 171ms.
    INFO: Extension Time Series was loaded in 184ms.
    INFO: Extension Operator Recommender was loaded in 188ms.
    INFO: Extension Productivity was loaded in 189ms.
    INFO: Extension Model Simulator was loaded in 192ms.
    INFO: Extension Data Editor was loaded in 256ms.
    INFO: Extension Social Media was loaded in 279ms.
    INFO: Extension Professional was loaded in 364ms.
    INFO: Extension Cloud Connectivity was loaded in 427ms.
    INFO: Extension Legacy Result Access was loaded in 652ms.
    INFO: Extension H2O was loaded in 890ms.
    INFO: Extension JDBC Connectors was loaded in 1164ms.
    INFO: Extension Cloud Execution was loaded in 5749ms.
    Jan 17, 2019 2:46:36 PM com.rapidminer.search.GlobalSearchRegistry registerSearchCategory
    INFO: Global Search category operator registered.
    Jan 17, 2019 2:46:44 PM com.rapidminer.tools.config.ConfigurationManager loadConfiguration
    INFO: Load configuration for Amazon S3 Connection.
    Jan 17, 2019 2:46:44 PM com.rapidminer.tools.config.ClientConfigurationManager loadAllParameters
    INFO: No configuration file found for Amazon S3 Connection
    Jan 17, 2019 2:46:44 PM com.rapidminer.tools.config.ConfigurationManager loadConfiguration
    INFO: Loaded configurations for 0 objects of type Amazon S3 Connection.
    INFO: Load configuration for Azure Blob Storage Connection.
    Jan 17, 2019 2:46:44 PM com.rapidminer.tools.config.ClientConfigurationManager loadAllParameters
    INFO: No configuration file found for Azure Blob Storage Connection
    INFO: Loaded configurations for 0 objects of type Azure Blob Storage Connection.
    INFO: Load configuration for Dropbox Connection.
    INFO: No configuration file found for Dropbox Connection
    INFO: Loaded configurations for 0 objects of type Dropbox Connection.
    INFO: Load configuration for Salesforce Connection.
    INFO: No configuration file found for Salesforce Connection
    INFO: Loaded configurations for 0 objects of type Salesforce Connection.
    INFO: Load configuration for Google Cloud Storage Connection.
    INFO: No configuration file found for Google Cloud Storage Connection
    INFO: Loaded configurations for 0 objects of type Google Cloud Storage Connection.
    INFO: Load configuration for Twitter Connection.
    INFO: No configuration file found for Twitter Connection
    INFO: Loaded configurations for 0 objects of type Twitter Connection.
    Jan 17, 2019 2:46:47 PM com.rapidminer.search.GlobalSearchRegistry registerSearchCategory
    INFO: Global Search category actions registered.
    Jan 17, 2019 2:49:41 PM com.rapidminer.gui.search.GlobalSearchGUIRegistry registerSearchVisualizationProvider
    INFO: Global Search GUI provider added for category operator.
    Jan 17, 2019 2:49:41 PM com.rapidminer.gui.search.GlobalSearchGUIRegistry registerSearchVisualizationProvider
    INFO: Global Search GUI provider added for category repository.
    INFO: Global Search GUI provider added for category actions.
    Jan 17, 2019 2:49:41 PM com.rapidminer.search.GlobalSearchRegistry registerSearchCategory
    INFO: Global Search category marketplace registered.
    INFO: Global Search GUI provider added for category marketplace.

that's indeed strange. The log file does not indicate any errors.
    Can you go through the following points please?
    1) What OS are you running this on?
    2) What extensions are installed (both in extensions folder and managed folder in your .RapidMiner folder)
    3) Maybe the update was not complete; in your installation folder, there is a lib/plugins folder (Windows/Linux), what files are there? If you are on MacOS, this is packaged up, maybe you can look inside the app and look for that folder, too?

Cheers
    Jan
     Hi Jan @jczogalla  thank you for your help. It is very much appreciated since I use RapidMiner to teach some MachineLearning techniques and it is terribly annoying (and embarrassing) to wait for approx. 8 Minutes to start RapidMiner in front of the class.
    You mentioned that RapidMiner might not have been properly installed. I simply uninstalled RapidMiner and furthermore deleted the .Rapidimer folder. This was not clever, because I had some custom pipelines which I lost. But anyway, afterward, I installed RapidMiner (9.1) again.  

After the fresh installation (yes the problem persists):
    1. I run windows 10 (64bit).
    2. There is no managed folder, and the extensions folder only contains a "workspace" folder which however seems to be empty.
    3. In the installation directory (lib folder) there are 83 jar-files. the first starts with activation-1.1.jar to and the last is xstream-1.4.10.jar. There are also 2 sub folders in the lib folder (plugins and jdbc). The plugin folder has got 17 jar files (beginning with cloud_connectivity-9.0.0-all.jar to time_series-9.1.0-all.jar ) in it. The jdbc subfolder has got 11 jar files (beginning with commons-logging-1.1.3.jar to ucanaccess-3.0.4.jar) in it. 

I observed a different aspect which might be weird. During the start up process RapidMiner hangs up as describes above (or it takes several minutes to start). During the startup prcess, it displayes several extensions (for example time series abalysis) which I apparently installed. Please see the enclosced screen shot. 

However, if I try to disable or to uninstall these extensions, RapidMiner tells me that no extensions are installed.

It is true that I had used the time series extension in version 8.X before I updated to 9.1. It seems that 9.1 inherits this information from somewhere, although the .RapidMiner folder had been deleted. 

At the moment RapidMiner is so slow that I cannot work with it. For example, even drag and dropping of sample data takes several seconds. It is hardly possible to build more elaborated pipelines.  So in this sense, your help is very much appreciated since I have several assignments to read where students have used RapidMiner. 

Is there a chance to downgrade to 8.X? This version seems to just work fine.
    Thanky you.
    Best
    Daniel 

the slow startup indeed sounds weird.
    Regarding the timeseries extension, the newer version is bundled with RapidMiner now. That's why you cannot find it in the managed or extension folder.

Since you say you use this in a university, may there be a problem with a firewall? There are some connections to our servers (to check for news and licenses, as well as loading the community repositories. Can you check if you have the "Training Resources" and "Community Samples" in your repository view? It should look like in the picture below.

If you cannot see those repositories, your university network might block some connections. A way to try and work around that is to deactivate the telemetry completely (for now).
    To do that, add the following line to your rapidminer-studio-settings.cfg file in the .RapidMiner folder
    rapidminer.studio.deny.allcommunication=true
    If this speeds up your start-up time, we need to investigate which connections are blocking your startup.

I hope this helps!
    Jan
    Hi Jan @jczogalla thank you again for your response. Yes it is correct that I use RapidMiner under an educational licence, hower RapidMiner is not installed on a university compter nor is it solely run on a computer in a university network etc. Since the IT guys from the facutly are very restrictive (they do not even allow me to install a LATEX editor) I had to install RapidMiner on privat computer.
    I followed carefully your instructions and I came to the following results. 
    1. After RapidMiner has startet I do not see the "Training Resources" and "Community Samples" in my repository view.
    2. I added rapidminer.studio.deny.allcommunication=true to the rapidminer-studio-settings.cfg file. I just added it at the end of the file. It looks now like:

But it did not seem to speed up the starting process, although I had the impression that it positively influenced the performance one RapidMiner has started.  
    3. I thought you are right about that a different application blocks rapidminer (I particularly suspected my windows defender firewall) (Windows 10)). Consequently, I had a look and found that rapidminer is allowed to connect to the web from private and public networks.

Unfortunately, this did not positively influence the problem. 
    4. I checked f-secure (this is my virus scanning program). It has the option to disable all security features. And........then rapidminer starts as quickly as possible. So far, great. But it is not an option to have everything (firewall, scanning on viruses etc.) disabled. 

Maybe you have another tip (like opening a port or so) to keep f-secure running.
    Thank you very very much, your help is very much appreciated.

Daniel 

glad to hear I can help. :smile:
    I think the problem then definitely is f-secure. I think you can disable it for specific applications. I found that you can exclude it from scans in general and just from real-time scanning (which sounds like the likely culprit). I would try to do the latter and see if that helps.

Cheers
    Jan
    @jczogalla  thank you again. In fact, excluding RapidMiner from the real time scanning was not the thing I needed. F-secure has got something which is called "deep guard". As soon as I put the RapidMiner install as well as the .RapidMiner folders on the "allowed" list, if works fine.  
    @daniel_sonnet glad to hear that! :smile: Good luck with your projects!
    Oh, and don't forget to remove the setting you added. As I said it cuts off all communication to our servers, including market place.
  • FriedemannFriedemann Member, University Professor Posts: 27 University Professor
    edited March 2020
    I had the same problem and replaced the jre of RapidMiner with JRE 1.8.0_241 - everything works fine then.
  • Satoshi_KitajimSatoshi_Kitajim Member Posts: 9 Contributor II
    I have the same problem, but it's OSX (10.15.4) so I haven't been able to solve it. I deleted the .RapidMiner folder and started it up. The result was the same.
    Attached is a log file and a screen capture during startup.

$ java --version
    openjdk 14 2020-03-17
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 14+36-1461)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 14+36-1461, mixed mode, sharing)

$ more rapidminer-studio.log
    4 03, 2020 11:14:35 午前 com.rapidminer.gui.RapidMinerGUI run
    情報: Launching RapidMiner 9.6.000, platform OSX
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:35 AM com.rapidminer.tools.I18N <clinit>
    INFO: Set locale to en.
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:35 AM com.rapidminer.RapidMiner performFirstInitialization
    INFO: Performing upgrade  to version 9.6.000
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:36 AM com.rapidminer.core.license.ProductConstraintManager initialize
    INFO: Initializing license manager.
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:36 AM com.rapidminer.core.license.ProductConstraintManager initialize
    INFO: Using default license location.
    INFO: Registering default product.
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:36 AM com.rapidminer.search.GlobalSearchRegistry registerSearchCategory
    INFO: Global Search category repository registered.
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:36 AM com.rapidminer.tools.cipher.FileCipherKeyProvider loadKey
    WARNING: Failed to retrieve secret key: /Users/sk/.RapidMiner/cipher.key (No such file or directory)
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:36 AM com.rapidminer.tools.plugin.Plugin registerPlugins
    INFO: Register plugin: Blending
    INFO: Register plugin: Process Scheduling
    INFO: Register plugin: Cloud Connectivity
    INFO: Register plugin: Advanced File Connectors
    INFO: Register plugin: Legacy Result Access
    INFO: Register plugin: Concurrency
    INFO: Register plugin: HTML5 Charts
    INFO: Register plugin: Model Deployment Management
    INFO: Register plugin: Time Series
    INFO: Register plugin: Remote Repository
    INFO: Register plugin: Browser
    INFO: Register plugin: Utility
    INFO: Register plugin: Professional
    INFO: Register plugin: Model Simulator
    INFO: Register plugin: CTA
    INFO: Register plugin: H2O
    INFO: Register plugin: Data Editor
    INFO: Register plugin: Productivity
    INFO: Register plugin: Social Media
    INFO: Register plugin: Operator Recommender
    INFO: Register plugin: JDBC Connectors
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:38 AM com.rapidminer.tools.config.ConfigurationManager register
    INFO: Registered configurator Twitter Connection.
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:39 AM com.rapidminer.extension.browser.PluginInitBrowser lambda$initPlugin$2
    INFO: Async: Init browser setup.
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:39 AM com.rapidminer.tools.config.ConfigurationManager register
    INFO: Registered configurator Salesforce Connection.
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:39 AM com.rapidminer.tools.config.ConfigurationManager register
    INFO: Registered configurator Amazon S3 Connection.
    INFO: Registered configurator Azure Blob Storage Connection.
    INFO: Registered configurator Azure Data Lake Storage Gen1 Connection.
    INFO: Registered configurator Google Cloud Storage Connection.
    INFO: Registered configurator Dropbox Connection.
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:40 AM com.rapidminer.extension.jdbc.tools.jdbc.JDBCProperties <init>
    WARNING: Missing database driver class name for ODBC Bridge (e.g. Access)
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:40 AM com.rapidminer.extension.jdbc.tools.jdbc.JDBCProperties <init>
    WARNING: Missing database driver class name for Ingres
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:41 AM com.rapidminer.repository.RepositoryManager registerExtensionSamples
    INFO: Registered 'Time Series' as sample folder.
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:41 AM com.rapidminer.tools.plugin.Plugin initAll
    INFO: Extension Professional was loaded in 137ms.
    INFO: Extension Blending was loaded in 138ms.
    INFO: Extension Process Scheduling was loaded in 138ms.
    INFO: Extension Operator Recommender was loaded in 141ms.
    INFO: Extension Data Editor was loaded in 142ms.
    INFO: Extension Productivity was loaded in 145ms.
    INFO: Extension Concurrency was loaded in 149ms.
    INFO: Extension Social Media was loaded in 169ms.
    INFO: Extension CTA was loaded in 177ms.
    INFO: Extension Model Deployment Management was loaded in 185ms.
    INFO: Extension HTML5 Charts was loaded in 205ms.
    INFO: Extension Time Series was loaded in 218ms.
    INFO: Extension Advanced File Connectors was loaded in 224ms.
    INFO: Extension Utility was loaded in 231ms.
    INFO: Extension Browser was loaded in 232ms.
    INFO: Extension Model Simulator was loaded in 235ms.
    INFO: Extension Remote Repository was loaded in 266ms.
    INFO: Extension Legacy Result Access was loaded in 357ms.
    INFO: Extension H2O was loaded in 421ms.
    INFO: Extension Cloud Connectivity was loaded in 469ms.
    INFO: Extension JDBC Connectors was loaded in 684ms.
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:41 AM com.rapidminer.search.GlobalSearchRegistry registerSearchCategory
    INFO: Global Search category operator registered.
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:52 AM com.rapidminer.extension.timeseries.operator.basetransformation.equalize.AbstractEqualizeTimeSeriesOperator getAdditionalParameterTypes
    WARNING: No operator description object given for 'com.rapidminer.extension.timeseries.operator.transformation.ReplaceMissingValuesOperator'
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:52 AM com.rapidminer.extension.timeseries.operator.basetransformation.equalize.AbstractEqualizeTimeSeriesOperator getAdditionalParameterTypes
    WARNING: No operator description object given for 'com.rapidminer.extension.timeseries.operator.transformation.ReplaceMissingValuesOperator'
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:53 AM com.rapidminer.tools.config.ConfigurationManager loadConfiguration
    INFO: Load configuration for Amazon S3 Connection.
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:53 AM com.rapidminer.tools.config.ClientConfigurationManager loadAllParameters
    INFO: No configuration file found for Amazon S3 Connection
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:53 AM com.rapidminer.tools.config.ConfigurationManager loadConfiguration
    INFO: Loaded configurations for 0 objects of type Amazon S3 Connection.
    INFO: Load configuration for Azure Blob Storage Connection.
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:53 AM com.rapidminer.tools.config.ClientConfigurationManager loadAllParameters
    INFO: No configuration file found for Azure Blob Storage Connection
    INFO: Loaded configurations for 0 objects of type Azure Blob Storage Connection.
    INFO: Load configuration for Azure Data Lake Storage Gen1 Connection.
    INFO: No configuration file found for Azure Data Lake Storage Gen1 Connection
    INFO: Loaded configurations for 0 objects of type Azure Data Lake Storage Gen1 Connection.
    INFO: Load configuration for Dropbox Connection.
    INFO: No configuration file found for Dropbox Connection
    INFO: Loaded configurations for 0 objects of type Dropbox Connection.
    INFO: Load configuration for Salesforce Connection.
    INFO: No configuration file found for Salesforce Connection
    INFO: Loaded configurations for 0 objects of type Salesforce Connection.
    INFO: Load configuration for Google Cloud Storage Connection.
    INFO: Loaded configurations for 0 objects of type Google Cloud Storage Connection.
    INFO: Load configuration for Twitter Connection.
    Apr 03, 2020 11:14:58 AM com.rapidminer.search.GlobalSearchRegistry registerSearchCategory
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

Do you have a browser-general.log file in your .RapidMiner/internal cache/browser7.4-OSX/ folder?

Regards,
    Marco
  • rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn
    @Satoshi_Kitajim,

You are using OpenJDK 14 for running RapidMiner Studio. Is there any possibility for you to install Java 8? Some internals are not yet translated to newer versions of Java (most if not all of these are third party libraries included by RapidMiner Studio to work). You can install Java 8 alongside Java 14, therefore this shouldn't be a problem.

All the best,

Rod.
    Hi Rod,

Thank you so much for your support.
    I uninstalled the OpenJDK and installed the Oracle Java8 JRE instead.

$ /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -version
    java version "1.8.0_241"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_241-b07)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.241-b07, mixed mode)

However, the situation did not change.

Hi Marco,

Unfortunately, the file you mentioned doesn't seem to exist.

$ pwd
    /Users/xx/.RapidMiner/internal cache/browser7.4-OSX
    $ ls -l
    total 416
    drwxr-xr-x  3 sk  staff     96  4  6 09:13 a7c315ad-077b-4258-bae1-497bde6ada81
    drwx------  3 sk  staff     96 11 22 23:40 browsercore.app
    -rw-r--r--  1 sk  staff  37280 11 20 23:12 libawt_helper.dylib
    -rw-r--r--  1 sk  staff  97744 11 20 23:12 libbrowsercore_ipc.dylib
    -rw-r--r--  1 sk  staff  71056 11 20 23:12 libbrowsercore_toolkit.dylib

Best regards,
    Satoshi
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

You could try two things:
    • If you have not already done so, please try and simply restart your Mac. Not sleep but a full restart.
    • Delete the .RapidMiner/internal cache folder and start Studio again.
    There seems to be a problem of getting the Chromium browser running, for whatever reason. And without a browser log file being created, it's a bit of poking in the dark unfortunately :(

Regards,
    Marco
    Hi Marco

Thank you for your support. I have tried your two suggestions and unfortunately the results have not changed.

I have installed OpenJDK8.
    $ java -version
    openjdk version "1.8.0_242"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 1.8.0_242-b08)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 25.242-b08, mixed mode)

RapidMiner is finally running. However, it takes 10 minutes at the "Initializing Plugin GUI" point. 

$ more .RapidMiner/rapidminer-studio.log
    --------------------------
    Apr 07, 2020 10:36:35 AM com.rapidminer.tools.config.ConfigurationManager loadConfiguration
    Apr 07, 2020 10:36:36 AM com.rapidminer.search.GlobalSearchRegistry registerSearchCategory
    Apr 07, 2020 10:46:26 AM com.rapidminer.extension.browser.BrowserFactory init
    SEVERE: Failed to initialize the Browser, HTML5 components might not be available!
    com.teamdev.jxbrowser.engine.IpcSetupFailureException
            at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.engine.internal.EngineImpl.newInstance(EngineImpl.java:232)
            at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.engine.Engine.newInstance(Engine.java:96)
            at com.rapidminer.extension.browser.BrowserFactory.createEngine(BrowserFactory.java:304)
            at com.rapidminer.extension.browser.BrowserFactory.init(BrowserFactory.java:116)
            at com.rapidminer.extension.browser.PluginInitBrowser.lambda$initPlugin$2(PluginInitBrowser.java:90)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Here are the specs of my machine. It used to take about 30 seconds to start up.

$ system_profiler SPHardwareDataType
    Hardware:
    Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
          Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,2
          Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i5
          Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
          Number of Processors: 1
          Total Number of Cores: 4
          L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
          L3 Cache: 6 MB
          Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
          Memory: 16 GB

I also checked the "HTML5 Safe Mode" at User Interface Preferences, but the speed was same as before. How can I start up faster?

Best regards,
    Satoshi
    I did a clean install of MacOS. RapidMiner stopped at the same point as last time and did not start at all.

I checked other pages for the HTML5 issue as well, but I don't think there is a solution.
    Can someone please tell me a solution to this problem?

$ sw_vers -productVersion

$ /usr/libexec/java_home -V
    Matching Java Virtual Machines (1):
        1.8.0_272, x86_64: "AdoptOpenJDK 8" /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/adoptopenjdk-8.jdk/Contents/Home

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/adoptopenjdk-8.jdk/Contents/Home

$ tail -n 20 rapidminer-studio.log
    Nov 05, 2020 11:57:42 AM com.rapidminer.tools.config.ClientConfigurationManager loadAllParameters
    Nov 05, 2020 11:57:42 AM com.rapidminer.tools.config.ClientConfigurationManager loadAllParameters
    Nov 05, 2020 11:57:44 AM com.rapidminer.search.GlobalSearchRegistry registerSearchCategory
    Nov 05, 2020 11:57:54 AM com.rapidminer.extension.browser.PluginInitBrowser lambda$initGui$5
    WARNING: Async: Hardware accelerated browser setup test SKIPPED due to basic test not finishing in time, HTML5 components may not be available!
    Nov 05, 2020 11:58:14 AM com.rapidminer.extension.browser.PluginInitBrowser lambda$initPlugin$2
    WARNING: Async: Basic browser setup test failed, HTML5 components may not be available!
    com.teamdev.jxbrowser.navigation.TimeoutException: Failed to execute task within 45 seconds.
    at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.navigation.internal.NavigationImpl.loadAndWait(NavigationImpl.java:269)
    at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.navigation.internal.NavigationImpl.loadUrlAndWait(NavigationImpl.java:125)
    at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.navigation.internal.NavigationImpl.loadUrlAndWait(NavigationImpl.java:91)
    at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.navigation.internal.NavigationImpl.loadUrlAndWait(NavigationImpl.java:76)
    at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.engine.internal.EngineImpl.newBrowser(EngineImpl.java:540)
    at com.rapidminer.extension.browser.BrowserFactory.createBrowser(BrowserFactory.java:254)
    at com.rapidminer.extension.browser.PluginInitBrowser.lambda$initPlugin$2(PluginInitBrowser.java:105)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

• RacalRacal Member Posts: 5 Contributor I
    Same here...
    Start ./RapidMiner-Studio.sh
    Rapidminer 9.8 hangs at startup on "Initializing checks"
    - Linux mint 20
    - Java java-8-openjdk-amd64
    - Working memory = 10Gb

Deleted ~/.RapidMiner directory, first time startsup, creates new dir, after that same issue

I notice Java is eating up my memory

please advice, many thanks!