MS SQL server connection parameters?

RuuddBRuuddB Member Posts: 2 Newbie
Hello,

We are using an MS SQL server local installation (on a laptop) and Microsoft SQL Management Server Studio to perform queries.
How can I connect to this database? Do I need to add a custom JDBC driver or not? And what are the parameters I
need to enter when specifying the connection (as given in your instruction video ( which link I cannot use)

Best regards,

Ruud

Answers

• BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn
    Hi Ruud,

yes, you need to have a JDBC driver. The parameters are documented on the homepage of the MS SQL JDBC driver:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/connect/jdbc/setting-the-connection-properties?view=sql-server-ver15

The exact settings depend on your database. For example, if you use integrated authentication or database users with passwords.

Which link didn't work for you?

Regards,
    Balázs
  • RuuddBRuuddB Member Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hi Balázs,

I would like to test the JDBC driver somehow. There might be problems regarding the Java runtime (did I install it, can it be found, etc).

Also, I don't know what to use for host and database name.

Using C# to connect to the database, I have the following parameters:
    "Data Source=<computername>\\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=<databasename>;User ID=sa;Password=xxx"

Any suggestions how to do this? Using the rapidminer "Test" button only gives me very limited information
    It tells me a timeout occurred.

Regards,

Ruud