Validating and Grading Process File - Teaching Context

btibertbtibert Member, University Professor Posts: 146 Guru
Admittedly this is not a a fully formed idea just yet, but I use RM for one of my graduate courses in a B-school, and based on the design, it's intended to really be a class that forces the students to work through analytics projects (data cleaning, EDA, modeling, etc.).  I say that because the students will have to work through problems in RapidMiner.  

My question/thought/idea:  Has anyone explored a path to have students submit their processes (.rmp file) and have a utility review the submission?  The parallel here would be nbgrader in python, where you can grade python notebooks, or even higher level, simply writing tests against input/work.  This is seen in various tools like Gradescope, Mimir, or even Github Classroom.

My need:  I would love to be able to have students submit their work, and this "autograder" would review the XML of the process to look for checks, proper settings, etc.  Ideally it could be executed to see if there are errors and such, but I am trying to keep this idea high level for now.  Basically, instead of reviewing a process 1x1 for every student, having a pathway to programmatically review submitted .rmp files.

In the past, I have either manually reviewed these files, or completely stayed away from using these submission as assignments, but I am curious as to what you all think.

Best Answer

Answers

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,
    i think the key idea is to use the process testing extension. This is usually designed to verify that the process is doing what its supposed to do. I assume one can use it maybe in conjunction with loop repo to do this?

Best,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • btibertbtibert Member, University Professor Posts: 146 Guru
    Interesting.  Can you point me to some documentation where I can read more about the process testing extension?  I am unaware of this tool.  Thanks so much!
  • btibertbtibert Member, University Professor Posts: 146 Guru
    Thanks for your comment.  I will poke around.  As noted above, the idea is not fully formed yet, but I am trying to think of equivalent ways to automate the review and grading of assignments that are based out of this tool.  As noted earlier, I wasn't aware of the Execute Process operator, and perhaps there are things to do by looping over the submissions.  Regardless, I truthfully was expecting that there wouldn't be any possible options, so this is great.