where are the data files located in Windows 10 file system

wclasterwclaster Member, University Professor Posts: 43 University Professor
Trying to find the files in the Sample files/data. Also, having trouble exporting to excel file. 
I clicked on the folder but doesn't seem to let me save.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted
    Hi @wclaster,

enabled is the default state of operators you're adding. Sometimes you want to temporarily disable an operator when testing a process or trying another way to solve your task. You don't need this in the tutorial.

The tutorial process you're using isn't showing all types of objects you'll encounter in your journey yet. For example, you get models (green) later when building your first model.

The connection from the Retrieve to the Write Excel in this video seems "dark blueish" to me, but it's subjective. Anyway, that's the color of passing around data tables.

thr = through. You already opened the Operator Info window in your video where you were able to see this. You can also hover with the mouse pointer over a connection and you'll see a popup showing details about it. "through" means here that you get a copy of the data saved by the Write Excel operator. 

Your description of data types as integer, boolean, float etc. is correct. These are the data types inside a table (example set, as called by RapidMiner).
    But in a high level environment like RapidMiner Studio, "model", "table", "file object" is also a kind of data. We could probably call these "object types" in this discussion.

RapidMiner takes some time to get used to, just like every graphical data science environment. The tutorial processes introduce the basic concepts. It can also be helpful to watch some videos on the RapidMiner Academy.

Best regards,

Balázs

Answers

• BalazsBaranyBalazsBarany Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert Posts: 955 Unicorn
    Hi @wclaster,

the internal samples are read only inside the application. Users are not supposed to change them. You can easily use them in RapidMiner and export copies.

The Community Samples repository is online and can be changed by a few RapidMiner people. @sgenzer is the Community Manager and also in contact with professors.

What's the problem with the Excel export? Do you get an error message? What happens if you click on the folder icon? On my system it lets me select a file name for saving the Excel file in any folder writable to me. When you start the process and the operator is executed, the file is stored on the hard disk.

Best regards,

Balázs

• wclasterwclaster Member, University Professor Posts: 43 University Professor
    Thank you. So you're trying to do this from the tutorial.
    Have you tried selecting a different folder? One you are sure you can write into?
    Anyway, you can always enter the path for saving the file manually if the UI doesn't work. 
  • jwpfaujwpfau Employee, Member Posts: 274 RM Engineering
    Hi @wclaster,

The file will be saved after you run the process.
    But i also agree that the wording should be something like "Select" instead of "Open".

See https://docs.rapidminer.com/latest/studio/getting-started/run-a-process.html

Greetings,
    Jonas
    Thanks. I uninstalled RapidMiner and then reinstalled it but still have the same problem. I cannot find the file anywhere on my system. Also, as you can see in the video, the button on the lower right side says 'Open' rather than 'Save'. The only reference I can find to this file is in a file called autosaved_process.xml which is located in 
    C:\Users\willi\.RapidMiner\autosave

and it has this in it.
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><process version="9.8.001">
      <context>
        <input/>
        <output/>
        <macros/>
      </context>
      <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="9.4.000" expanded="true" name="Process" origin="GENERATED_TUTORIAL">
        <parameter key="logverbosity" value="init"/>
        <parameter key="random_seed" value="2001"/>
        <parameter key="send_mail" value="never"/>
        <parameter key="notification_email" value=""/>
        <parameter key="process_duration_for_mail" value="30"/>
        <parameter key="encoding" value="SYSTEM"/>
        <process expanded="true">
          <operator activated="true" class="retrieve" compatibility="9.8.001" expanded="true" height="68" name="Retrieve Transactions" width="90" x="45" y="136">
            <parameter key="repository_entry" value="//Samples/data/Transactions"/>
          </operator>
          <operator activated="false" class="write_excel" compatibility="9.8.001" expanded="true" height="103" name="Write Excel" width="90" x="179" y="136">
            <parameter key="excel_file" value="C:/Users/willi/Desktop/transactionsTest.xlsx"/>
            <parameter key="file_format" value="xlsx"/>
            <enumeration key="sheet_names"/>
            <parameter key="sheet_name" value="RapidMiner Data"/>
            <parameter key="date_format" value="yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss"/>
            <parameter key="number_format" value="#.0"/>
            <parameter key="encoding" value="SYSTEM"/>
          </operator>
          <connect from_op="Retrieve Transactions" from_port="output" to_port="result 1"/>
          <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
          <background height="232" location="//Samples/Tutorials/Basics/05/tutorial5" width="1502" x="26" y="47"/>
        </process>
      </operator>
    </process>

Hi,

now I understand your problem.
    The Write Excel operator is disabled. That's why it is grey. It is not being executed. 
    Select it and press Ctrl+E, or right-click and enable it. You can also move it on the line from Retrieve Transactions to the process output. This needs a bit of practice, as the mouse cursor has to be on the connection (until the connecting line becomes bold). 

Best regards,
    Balázs
    Hi. Just tried from scratch trying to follow BalazsBarany's instructions. Here is the video.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/18BgMc0t91jvy2wsMktSgF2HMpPUFEEyi/view?usp=sharing
    Still cannot find the file though. Am I doing something wrong?
    Hi @wclaster,

we're almost there.

You connected the fil (File) output of your Write Excel to the results. When you check the parameters afterwards, you see that the file name specification disappears. Instead, when executing the process, you got the "virtual" file in the results in a non-usable way and it was not saved to the disk.

Just disconnect that port. If you want to use or see the results, connect the "thr" port but not the "fil" one. 

RapidMiner marks different data types with different colors. Usually you just work with the dark blueish ones, these are example sets (tables). Purple is the color of file connections - there are use cases for these, but this is not one of them. Green is for models etc.

Best regards,

Balázs
    THANK YOU! It worked!
    May I ask, what is the purpose of enable operator? In the tutorial it is not necessary to enable an operator? Also, I wasn't sure of what you mean when you speak of different data types and different colors. I don't see dark blue. I see ports that are purple. I also don't see green. Finally can I ask what are fil and thr. In the tutorial they did not introduce thr (at least up to the point I have done). I am used to the term data type referring to 'integer' data type, boolean, double, float, etc. 

Thanks all. I got it running. And thanks BalazsBarany for the explanation!