RapidMiner 5 Development Documentation available

landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
edited November 2018 in Help
Dear RapidMiner users and developers,
finally we have managed to complete the documentation about the new and improved Extension mechanism of RapidMiner 5.0.
I tried to include every question about extensions that arose in this forum in the past years, so it outgrew a tutorial a little bit:
On 43 pages it covers all topics needed to fully customize RapidMiner and add every desired functionality.
It describes in detail
  • scripting inside processes
  • developing own operators and super operators
  • adding your own GUI components
  • adding custom documentation to your operators
  • publishing an Extension
Not only for those whom are new to RapidMiner developer community, the white paper gives background knowledge about
  • data storage strategy
  • extension mechanism
  • internationalized GUI components
Together with the white paper you receive two projects for Eclipse. The one is an extension containing all examples covered in the paper and the other is a template for building own RapidMiner Extensions with Eclipse.

The paper is available in the shop as a downloadable version, you can find it here. I hope I didn't waste the time with writing it and you will find it useful.

Greetings,
  Sebastian
Tagged:

Answers

• steffensteffen Member Posts: 347 Maven
    Congrats !  :)

Does that mean that it is now possible again to import rapidminer5-zip and use it in eclipse without the wtp-metadata-error ? Beside: What about a free version of the whitepaper for all people with a certain post counter *cough* *cough*

best,

Steffen
  • ecksteineckstein Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    Is there a possibility for students to get a discount?
  • ManitouManitou Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
    Hi there

I already bought the white paper. It seems to be very useful at first glance.

The version I have has 43 pages in total. On page 11 you describe how to start RapidMiner from Eclipse and import the two projects (RapidMiner_Extension_Template and RapidMiner_Extension_Tutorial). Unfortunaltly the list on page 11 stats with 4. ... 8. Do I assume correctly that step 1 to 3 is missing? Would be of great help to get those three steps.

Cause in that area I am facing a hurdle a cannot take at the moment. My problem is stated in more detail here:

http://rapid-i.com/rapidforum/index.php/topic,2057.msg8025.html#msg8025

I hope that your explainations will help  :)

Thank you very much
  • KrafNKrafN Member Posts: 13 Contributor II
    Some kind of discount for students would be quite nice really..

Maybe reduce the price to some extent and offer a slightly abridged version of the documentation.

I myself for example am a physics student and I doubt that I actually need the whole thing. But right now the only options seem to be having no documentation at all or buying the whole document and to be honest, that is not satisfying at all.
  • GhostriderGhostrider Member Posts: 60 Contributor II
    If you plan on developing plug-ins, the documentation is worth it.  Having the documentation saved me at least a day in trying to figure out how to develop plug-ins by reverse engineering existing ones.  Of course, I wish it was free too, but I'm satisfied that I am supporting a good project.
  • KrafNKrafN Member Posts: 13 Contributor II
    I do not doubt that it's worth it but seeing how the whole old documentation for RM 4.6 is completely free, it feels a little awkward.

Supporting the project is all fine but if you're a student and a beginner to boot, some free pointers would be nicer rather than making you buy the full documentation.

On a side note: What happened to the Wiki? A whole bunch of articles just got deleted, amongst others one about scripting which I found to be quite helpful for bloody rookies.

• IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi,

we just wanted to let you know that we have updated the description of Sebastian's White Paper: "How to Extend RapidMiner 5.0" in our Rapid-I Online Shop:

White Paper: "How to Extend RapidMiner 5.0"

You can find the new description including also the number of pages and the table of contents - a lot of arguments to get a copy on your own. So give yourself a kick, buy the White Paper, and support RapidMiner with this!  ;D

From the web site:

The White Paper describes in detail
    • scripting inside processes
    • developing own operators and super operators
    • adding your own GUI components
    • adding custom documentation to your operators
    • publishing an Extension
    Together with the white paper you receive two projects for Eclipse. The one is an extension containing all examples covered in the paper and the other is a template for building own RapidMiner Extensions with Eclipse. And much more:

White Paper: "How to Extend RapidMiner 5.0"

Cheers,
    Ingo
  • karenkaren Member Posts: 6 Contributor II
    Good morning, I'm just starting in RM, particularly I'm interested in the development of new operators, I've downloaded the 
    http://rapid-i.com/downloads/tutorial/rapidminer-4.6-tutorial.pdf
    is it the tutorial I should take as a starting point ?

Thanks in advance and sorry if that's already answered..

Karen

• IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi Karen,

as I have stated in my last post: The recommended documentation for developers of new operators is Sebastian's White Paper which is available here:

http://rapid-i.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,flypage.tpl/product_id,52/category_id,5/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,180/

Cheers,
    Ingo
  • FireholderFireholder Member Posts: 26 Contributor II
    Hi,
    I'm also beginner in RM, although I don't have to be really good at it, I need to pass my xml file from my java application to rapidminer how can I do it? Do I need to buy a white paper?And is there're any discounts for student and how long I have to wait for a delivery to Malaysia?
    [/quote]
  • gaoxiaoleigaoxiaolei Member Posts: 12 Contributor II
    Hi,
    Ingo Mierswa, great works.
    But why not set this document free? If so, developers could make their opeators, this also will make RapidMiner more stronger and powerful.