Options

Extend Sensor Link Extension!!

OutOfBountOutOfBount Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
Hi

I would like to develop an extension that extends the Sensor Link extension for the PI system. The idea is to allow the user to enter PI tags separated by commas and insert them directly to any operator in the sensor link extension.

However, I face an issue when I try to make my new extension depend on the sensor link extension. I don't know what is the correct namespace to add to the build.gradle file:
dependencies {
        rapidminer '9.8.0'
        extension namespace: 'sensorlink', version: '1.4.2'
        //extension namespace: 'text', version: '8.1.0'
}

Also, I tried to download the sensor link (.jar) and create a new folder called libs and add the following line to the build.gradle file:
flatDir {
dirs 'libs'
}

But I don't know if the extension was added to the project or not. So how could I check and use the extension for development?

Answers

• Options
    MichaelKnopfMichaelKnopf Administrator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 31 RM Data Scientist
    edited September 2021
    Hi there,
    Sensor Link unfortunately does not provide any stable API suitable for 3rd party extensions. In other words, any patch update could break the extension you are suggesting.
    We are currently testing a prototype internally that allows to query PI Asset Framework elements (i.e., all associated data items at once), would that cover your use case? Or do you see further need for providing dynamic lists of data items.
    Another approach we have discussed in the past is to allow users to pass in the data items as table via an additional input port.
    Best,
    Michael
  • Options
    OutOfBountOutOfBount Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    Thank Michael for your response!

When using Sensor Link operators it is time-consuming to add the data items (PI Tags) one by one to the GUI. So I was planning to add an extension that allows the user to enter all the data items separated by comma at once and feed it to the Sensor Link different operators as chosen by the user.

I am not sure if I understood the first approach correctly. However, the second approach would solve the problem if it allows the user to enter a large number of data items easily.