Options

(NEW USER) -- How to use the Join Operator?

DelthenDelthen Member Posts: 4 Newbie
I am working through the Tutorials section, specially the "Merging and Grouping" section. I'm at the "(3/6) Join the data" section.

I can't seem to find the Join Operator that I want. 

I've tried using the available Join Operators (there are 6 of them), but none of them come with any parameters (by the looks of it), so I'm unable to set any special attributes to any given Join Operator. 

I am able to connect both datasets, "Retrieve Products" and "Retrieve Transactions" to any of the Join Operators, but I am unable to do anything else to any of the Join Operators (so, I'm unable to do complete steps 3 to 5 according to the image). 

Please see the image attached, as it illustrates my issue. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this question and offer any feedback. 

Best Answer

• Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,507 RM Data Scientist
    Solution Accepted
    Hi,
    this looks like you had a startup error, which did not load all extensions or you have an unofficial build of studio?

BR,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany

Answers

• Options
    edited November 2021
    @mschmitz --- That definitely could be it, I think. 

For whatever reason, I haven't been able to start up RapidMiner normally. The first time I try to open it crashes, giving me an error message of "Java could not load" or something to that effect. 

When I try to open the program again, I'm only able to get it to run when I disable extensions, like you mentioned. Here's a picture of the error when I first try to run the program: 

I have no idea how to resolve this issue. I tried looking up a solution for this some time ago, but an answer I found doesn't seem to be applicable to me. What I mean is, for whatever reason, the folder containing my RapidMiner program doesn't include a .bat file version that I can open. I just have the option to open the .exe file version of the program.

That said, I'm not totally sure if I'm currently using an unofficial build... I would like to use the free version, if that is at all possible... 

Do you have any suggestions about how to alleviate the start up troubles and being unable to load all of the extensions? 

Thank you for the reply, Martin!
  • Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,507 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,
    join is technically part of an extension, so what happens here is that you can't see it because it didnt load.

Usually those problems are related to not having enough memory available to start the JVM? Can you check this please?

If you need a .bat: You can download the linux version, which contains the .bat file.

Best,
    Martin
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    @mschmitz --- I was able to find the batch file. Looks like you're right about my system not having enough memory. The "Java Runtime Environment" is not able to continue. 

Here's a cropped image that represents the result of when I run the batch file: 

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. Does this mean I need to manually allocate more memory for RapidMiner or do I need to do something else like free up some more storage space by deleting files and programs? 

According to CPU-Z, I'm pretty sure my computer meets the "Recommended" system requirements. I have a Core 2 Quad processor at 3.00GHz, 16GB of Memory and at least 120GB of available storage space, and I'm running Windows 10. Maybe there is something that I'm not considering...

Thanks again for your prompt reply. Your support has been helping me to better understand this situation. 

Best, 

Lyon
  • Options
    Hi,
    the question is if your OS still has enough RAM to give it to java. Maybe all RAM is allocated already?

BR,
    Martin
    Dortmund, Germany