New Extension: Interpretations - SHAP, LIME and Shapely

MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist
edited May 2022 in Knowledge Base

Dear Community

I am happy to announce that @pschlunder and I published a new extension to the marketplace: Interpretations!

So far RapidMiner users had the option to use Explain Predictions as their method to understand WHY a model predicted the way it did. The Explain Predictions operator uses an algorithm by @IngoRM which is focused around best speed, understand-ability and application on a range of use cases as well as data types.

The new operator adds the known algorithms of LIME, Shapely and SHAP to the mix. The operator Generate Interpretations has a very similar interface to the familiar Explain Predictions. In fact it also embeds Explain Predictions so that you can switch between different algorithms and get different ‘opinions’ on your predictions.

Please be aware that this is a first alpha release of the extension. We are continuously working on improving it. We appreciate every feedback!

Thanks!
Philipp & Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
Dortmund, Germany

Comments

• NeuralMarketNeuralMarket Member Posts: 13 Contributor II
    Very cool!
  • MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist
    Small update on the extension:
    Changes in 0.1.1
    ----------------
    * Added an icon
    * Fixed an error that there was no proper UserError if types of training and testing were different
    * Fixed an error that real and integers were considered of different types.

Dortmund, Germany
  • Muhammed_Fatih_Muhammed_Fatih_ Member Posts: 93 Maven
    Hi @mschmitz

thank you for the interesting insight and the integration of the 'Generate Interpretation' operator into RapidMiner! This can be very useful!

Is there a possibility to train and test a Decision Tree with Cross Validation by additionally using the KernelSHAP? I implemented the following procedure but it doesn't work due to the missing connections: 

Thank you in advance for your help! 

Best regards, 

Fatih  
  • MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,
    why would you do it inside? usually you use it afterwards with the final model.

Best,
    Martin
    Dortmund, Germany
  • anaRodriguesanaRodrigues Member Posts: 33 Contributor II
    Hi @mschmitz

I recently posted this question. It would be a big help if you could take a look.

Thank you in advance,
    Ana
  • anaRodriguesanaRodrigues Member Posts: 33 Contributor II
    Hi @mschmitz,

Is it possible to use the generate interpretation operator with a model stored in the repository? I can't seem to make it work

Thanks,
    Ana
    that should work - what is the error message?
    Dortmund, Germany
  • anmsanms Member Posts: 9 Newbie
    Hi mschmitz,

I tried to use LIME, but I don't understand what does the value in circle means? Is there any guide to interpret the values in circle?

Thank you.
    Hi @anms ,
    LIME values are tricky to explain. Generally speaking: The higher the values, the more influential they are in the prediction of this specific example. Or maybe in other words: If you would change Age Category, the change of the confidence would be the biggest.

More - very technical - details can be found in this ebook - https://christophm.github.io/interpretable-ml-book/.
    Best,
    Martin

Dortmund, Germany
  • sectynsectyn Member Posts: 25 Maven
    What are the dependencies required to be installed for the Interpretation extension? Getting a missing dependency error after installing this extension.
    Hi @sectyn ,
    Only an up to date studio, i.e. 9.10.

Best,
    Martin
    Dortmund, Germany
  • hesuhesu Member Posts: 1 Newbie
    After the upgrade to version 9.9, the previously arranged extensions cannot be opened, but can only enter the non-functional extension mode. How can I solve this problem
    Hi hesu,
    please check the rapidminer-studio.log for errors.
    Best,
    Martin
    Dortmund, Germany
  • sherlocksherlock Member Posts: 24 Contributor II
    Hi @mschmitz,

is there a way to connect it to the XGBoost Operator in Rapidminer? While e.g. GBM works fine, XGBoost doesn’t. Seems to be a type/interface issue. Taking into account the great performance of XGBoost it would be a pity if we couldn’t make use of this great operator for XGBoost.

Thanks
    Erwin
    good point. I will check what XGBoost is implementing. I thought it works.

BR,
    Martin
    Dortmund, Germany