Options

"Transfer from repository on old machine to new machine?"

Mark_KnechtMark_Knecht Member Posts: 10 Contributor II
edited June 2019 in Help
Hello,
  What is the process to correctly move all the work in a repository on an old machine to a new machine. Note that there is some new work on the new machine and I don't want to delete or overwrite this new work. I just want to add work from the old machine to it.

Thanks,
Mark
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi Mark,

you can simply copy the whole repository from your filesystem (it is the directory you specified as base directory of your repository during the first start up) and store it on your new machine at an arbitrary place - without overwriting anything of course. Then just add a new repository from your repository view and point it to the copied directory. Alternatively, you can just copy the contents of your old repository directory into the one on your new machine (again without overwriting anything) and perform a refresh in RapidMiner's repository view. The first way, however, is more secure if you want to make sure that you don't overwrite your new repository. Of course you could also make a backup of this one before you copy anything.

Cheers,
    Ingo
  • Options
    Mark_KnechtMark_Knecht Member Posts: 10 Contributor II
    Thanks Ingo. That seems to have worked, although it doesn't get data stored on the old machine that wasn't stored in the repository in the first place. My mistake storing it elsewhere I guess.

I've been having some difficulty with using processes from other machines, imported as XML, because it seems M$ keeps data in platform dependent paths that don't show up on every machine. I.e. - my home directory on Win XP has a different path than my home directory on Win 7, so the RM5 XML didn't like it when I moved it. Even though the process showed p correctly, it's not reading the data file for the design because the repository names aren't the same between the old and new machines. It seem RM5 uses a complete path and the path has changed.

I think I must be making this more difficult than it needs to be. New user problems I suppose. Anyway, it _mostly_ works, but I'll have some cleanup to do.

Thanks!

- Mark
  • Options
    jwalterjwalter Member Posts: 7 Contributor II
    Related:

I want to deploy my own sample repository (in an windows installer). It will be installed in an arbitrary place.

What is the easiest way to - PROGRAMMATICALLY - telling the already installed RapidMiner that from now on there is another repository? How are repositories registered with RapidMiner ?

i.e. I want to avoid manually creating a new repo association.

Regarding paths:

It seems that the 'conventional' operators (ReadAML) do not accept true relative paths. The do not accept "..\data\test.aml"
    when the process file is in "processes\test.rmp". But they seem to accept paths relative to one's home folder. i.e. on windows machines: c:\Documents and Settings\user\.  Another problem is that they substitute relative paths with absolute paths.