RapidMiner

**Rankings emails - Please read**

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello all -

I am still refining the "rankings" on this community.  If you see your "ranking title" change, please do not panic!  Your permissions remain exactly the same and I hope by refining these rankings that both experienced users will be recognized and new users will learn who these experienced users are.

On that note, if you have clever suggestions on what these rankings should be called, please post here!  Smiley Happy

Scott

Scott Genzer
Senior Community Manager
RapidMiner, Inc.
9 REPLIES
RM Certified Expert
RM Certified Expert

Re: more rankings

I have to say, I personally liked "Elite III" better than "Power User."  But what about some cool sci-fi or fantasy allusions like "RM Wizard" or "Studio Elf" or something  :-)

In actuality it's fine with me however the ranking system works.  Can you provide a high-level list of the current set of ranks so we have some sense of where things fall and what we can aspire to?

Brian T., Lindon Ventures - www.lindonventures.com
Analytics Consulting by Certified RapidMiner Analysts
Community Manager

hello all - 

My apologies to all.  In my effort to improve the rankings and roles of the community, I accidentally wreaked havoc on everything and triggered a lot of emails.  PLEASE IGNORE ALL EMAILS CONCERNING CHANGES IN ROLES.  Everything has been restored to its previous state to the best of my knowledge.  If you have a problem, please reply to this thread or send me a PM.

Thank you all!

Scott

Scott Genzer
Senior Community Manager
RapidMiner, Inc.
Community Manager

Re: more rankings

sure Brian.  It's no secret how the rankings work (or not work, as you saw today!).  Here's the current system:

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 11.55.47 AM.png

Before there were several more that did not apply to anyone.

As for "Wizard" et all, I like the idea but I need to be cognizant that this is a forum for people all over the globe and I am concerned that people with other cultural background may not understand / be offended by such cultural references.  Hence the more generic "Power User" but very open to other ideas.  The goal is to 100% recognize experienced users like yourself so that people can view posts through this lens.

Scott

Scott Genzer
Senior Community Manager
RapidMiner, Inc.
RM Certified Expert
RM Certified Expert

Re: **Rankings emails - Please read**

@sgenzer  

The fantasy style role names would translate quite well if targeted right.  I would suggest having the top level as Unicorn for a data scientist tie in.  Otherwise EliteI, II, III, etc are reasonable enough.  

I would suggest though (this is likely to be difficult) changing the ranking to reflect the areas that a person posts in.  So if someone gives solutions a lot in the Studio forum they are a Studio + [Level].  Other areas being Server, Radoop, Development, KB, Versitile, Algos, DeepLearning, Trees, SVM, etc.   Perhaps this could be combined with user tags?   Or maybe do this by using RM to scan the user posts and extract out the key topics they post about.   

That way if someone wants to ask a question about development then they know that the person answering has a lot of dev experience as they answer many posts on the topic.  

That might also change the way profiles work.  I could add my "skill areas" to my profile that then appear as badges on the forum.  At first faded grey, but as I answer more posts around the topic that I listed as my "skill area" the badge becomes bolder and can get ranked up.  But if the skill isn't kept up to date then it begins to fade (obviously normalized against all others with the same "skill area" badge).  

-- Training, Consulting, Sales in China, Hong Kong & Taiwan --
www.RapidMinerChina.com
Community Manager

I really like that idea, @JEdward.  Actually I think there is a way to be that granular with the rankings - you can create formulae and so forth.  I would need to do some research on this.  Meanwhile "unicorn" is very clever...ok let's keep going on this.  Otherwise you will be relegated to "Power User" for the rest of your lives.  Smiley Happy  You don't have anything more important to do today, right?

Maybe this is the kick in the pants I need to figure out polling features in this community engine...

Scott

Scott Genzer
Senior Community Manager
RapidMiner, Inc.
Community Manager

OK @JEdward - this is where I'm at after playing with this for a while.  Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 4.18.17 PM.png

Scott Genzer
Senior Community Manager
RapidMiner, Inc.
RM Certified Expert
RM Certified Expert

@sgenzer I like this better, although I think there is some ambiguity or potential confusion in the middle between the user and contributor levels--these 4 in particular aren't clear to me:

• frequent contributor
  • contributor
  • frequent user
  • experienced user

They aren't parallel in construction, and unless you were looking at this list for reference, I don't think it would be obvious whether a "frequent contributor" was more or less of an expert than "experienced user," for example.  

How about something like this instead:

1. Unicorn
  2. Guru
  3. Expert
  4. Contributor III
  5. Contributor II
  6. Contributor I
  7. Learner III
  8. Learner II
  9. Learner I
  10. Newbie

I also noticed that the color coding of the user names seems to have gone away after the recent changes, but I found those very helpful.  So use one color for displaying the names of the 3 "learner" ranks, then another for the 3 "contributors," and then another for the 3 the higher ones (just one color for the top 3).  That also makes it easy to tell the general expertise of the person who is posting without even looking at their actual rank.

Brian T., Lindon Ventures - www.lindonventures.com
Analytics Consulting by Certified RapidMiner Analysts
Community Manager

I like it @Telcontar120.  Well done.  Ok now to make it happen without crashing the system like I did before...

(oh re: colors, yes I did get rid of some of them for the moment.  I agree they're helpful but wanted to clean them out and just distinguish power users (orange) from others (gray and black) for now.  I also want to sync the colors with the overall RapidMiner branding color scheme.

Thanks very much.

Scott

Scott Genzer
Senior Community Manager
RapidMiner, Inc.
Highlighted
RM Certified Expert
RM Certified Expert

Haha!  I like the icons. 

-- Training, Consulting, Sales in China, Hong Kong & Taiwan --
www.RapidMinerChina.com