RapidMiner

Version 6: Community Edition?

RM Certified Expert

Re: Version 6: Community Edition?

RapidMiner may have a slightly different official response, but here's my take.

· It doesn't have all the bells & whistles of 6 such as templates, etc. (and I imagine there'll be more bells as time goes on)
· It's not supported (other than on here). 
· As I understand it, You are not allowed to integrate it with other applications without breaching the licence or making your own application open source licence too.  (Not practical if you are integrating between a third party apps). 

If you want to use it in a production environment you will generally need to do an assessment on cost vs risk & return analysis on version 6 as you would with all software implementations free or paid & likely you will then find stumping up the cash is better (& still much cheaper than IBM & SAS). 
If you want to use it for standalone projects such as to learn datamining, be an evil scientist, or knock up proof of concepts that are compatible with version 6 on upgrade, you can still use version 5.3 without issues. 
-- Training, Consulting, Sales in China, Hong Kong & Taiwan --
www.RapidMinerChina.com
RM Staff

imwaldverirrt wrote:

Hey there,

I am a new user and just thuoght of the licensing stuff.
Currently I'm using RM5.3. Can I continue using it as long as I want and am I still allowed to use it in a commercial environment?
Are there ANY limitations (Ram, CPU power etc) with it or are they only limited in the latest RM6?
So if there are NO limitations concerning hardware and licensing, I will continue to use RM5.3...

Thanks in advance

Hi,

RapidMiner 5.x is licensed under the AGPL3 whereas RM 6.x is closed source.
Apart from that, RM 5.x is not limited, but JEdward put it quite well Smiley Wink

Regards,
Marco

okay thanks for your clarifications.
What happens whenI'm offering a b2b service without actually selling a product, i.e. only "selling" knowledge (as part of a consultancy) being discovered by mining databases from the customer. Like that, RM would only run on our servers to actually mine the data.

To my understanding, in this case there would be no need to release the source code as we are not releasing the software as a product itself, right?
RM Staff

Hi,

please contact us as we cannot give legal adivce in the forums: http://rapidminer.com/about-us/contact-us/

Regards,
Marco

So when I understand correctly, as soon as the process would be:

Grab data from customers
-> automatically read that data in RM5.3 (from xls/maybe database connection)
-> complete RM process to mine the data and get "knowledge" from it
-> get reports and derive decision rules for the customers
-> send those insights back to the customer

Every step would run on our servers, so we would never sell the "product" directly. We would just sell it as a service, so actually the knowledge/insights from the data would be what's sold to the customer...

RM would be "integrated" and thus I'd need an OEM license, right?
Could you please tell me what the pricing for an OEM license for RM5 would be?
RM Staff

Hi,

I have forwarded your questions to the appropriate department as these detailed licensing questions are not exactly my area of expertise. Thus I have edited my previous two answers.

Regards,
Marco

Hi,

coming back to this, all I can say now is:
We do not give legal advice in the forum. For any licensing questions please contact us here: http://rapidminer.com/about-us/contact-us/

Regards,
Marco

Hi,

First, congrats to Ingo for release of version 7! I'm tremendously glad that the RM team took into account the feedback given over the years regarding the usability of the UI and have made a total revamp to lower the learning curve.

Ingo you mentioned 2 years ago that the previous version of Rapidminer would be made fully open source and available to the community when a new major version is available. With the release of version 7 today, may i know if this promise still holds in 2016? If so, when would version 6.5 studio and server be made fully open source?

Thanks for the hard work by you and your team, Ingo. Rapidminer has been one of many important pillars within the analytics community.

Ingo Mierswa wrote:

Hi Earmijo,

The answer is actually very simple.  You have basically two options to continue using RapidMiner for free:

• You continue to work with the 5 series available on our new community page http://community.rapidminer.com

• You continue with the free "Starter Edition" of RapidMiner 6.  After the trial period of 14 days ends, RM 6 will automatically revert to this Starter edition.  The same is true when you enter no valid license for RM 6 - you can still use RM 6 right now, can't you?

In summary:  No existing user of RapidMiner is losing anything but is getting more options.  Just as before with our Enterprise Editions, we are offering an improved version of RapidMiner to our customers only.  I am sure that our community members also support this idea since it is at the end our customer base who invest most into the future development of the RapidMiner platform.  Actually, the situation is even better than before since now not only our customers can make use of the extended feature set but all users within the community - if they can live with the limited data sizes and data sources of the Starter Edition.  Those limits are perfectly fine for evaluation purposes and most academic scenarios we have encountered in the past ourself.

For our acadmic users, however, we will in the future also a special offer for the Professional edition of RapidMiner - stay tuned...

And finally, our guarantee is that always the current version will be completely opened up with the release of a new new major version, i.e. as soon as RM 7 is released, the 6 series will then be released as the new community edition and so on.  This is the basic idea of the Business Source model which is even superior to our previous Open Core model since now all users will truly benefit from the opened source of the complete platform over time.

We are convinced that this flexibility in the choice of editions and versions together with the improved platform itself deliver the biggest value to both our user community as well as to our customer base. 

We will definitely also work on our web page to explain the different options better in the future so thanks for pointing out that there has been some misunderstanding.

Best,
Ingo
Contributor

Oops apologies, i just read about the switch from Business Source to Open Core

https://rapidminer.com/rapidminer-philosophy-open-core/
https://rapidminer.com/get-more-open-core/

I presume Rapidminer Server has no community edition and is only available with a commercial license?
RM Staff

After switching the business model to open core, we will not have an open-source server. On the other hand you will always have an open-source studio with the newest version. Studio is currently hosted on github. See: https://github.com/rapidminer

~Martin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Head of Data Science Services at RapidMiner