RapidMiner

RapidMiner Data Science Competition 4: DrivenData's "Pover-T" - $15,000 prize for charity

Wisdom logo Registration now open for RapidMiner Wisdom Americas | New Orleans | October 10-12, 2018   Learn More
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

RapidMiner Data Science Competition 4: DrivenData's "Pover-T" - $15,000 prize for charity

hello RapidMiners - 

Greetings and happy new year. First of all huge congratulations again to @maros_plsik for winning the Fantasy Football challenge. And kudos to @florian_ziegler and @yzan for their great efforts as well. Unfortunately those were the ONLY submissions to this challenge so I'm going to change gears for the next one in hopes that we can get more people involved.

The_World_Bank_logo.svg.pngSetup: DrivenData is a data science competition website (similar to Kaggle) where they only host challenges that benefit the public good. They have a new challenge called "Pover-T", sponsored by the World Bank, where they are trying to use survey data to predict which households are classified as "poor" or not. It's pretty straightforward. The measuring stick is simply minimizing logarithmic loss on the "poor" class predictions. They have standard training and testing data sets, a scoreboard, and so on.  Here's the link where you can read all about it: https://www.drivendata.org/competitions/50/worldbank-poverty-prediction/page/97/

Challenge: I have formed a "RapidMiners" team on DrivenData where I am inviting ANY and ALL RapidMiner data scientists who wish to join me. If we win (I have no doubt we will!), we all agree to donate the full $15,000 prize money to Doctors Without Borders / Médecins Sans Frontières. Why? First because I think it's a very good cause. Second because splitting prize money among n RapidMiners in k countries would be horribly difficult. Third because I want to show those folks at SAS that they are not the only ones doing #data4good (look it up on Twitter).

RapidMiner processes: I worked on it for a couple of hours last night and we're already in 29th place. Let's keep trading processes in this thread and go from there. I have a folder on OneDrive that I am sharing here; probably the "right" way to do this is on GitHub but I'm a git-idiot. Anyone want to get this going? 

Deadline: The "Pover-T" challenge is going on now and ends Wednesday, February 28, 2018, 11:59 p.m. UTC.

Who's in? Sign up at DrivenData, send me your username, and let's show the world our data science chops!

Scott

(image source: Wikimedia Commons)

Scott Genzer
Senior Community Manager
RapidMiner, Inc.
36 REPLIES
Unicorn
Unicorn

Re: RapidMiner Data Science Competition 4: DrivenData's "Pover-T" - $15,000 prize for char

Count me in!  I'm Telcontar120 at DrivenData as well if you want to add me to the team.  

Another option for sharing work would be to use the RapidMiner competition server?  We could create a shared repository where we keep the data files, and then version off the different processes. @sgenzer if you could set something up like that it would definitely be a lot more efficient than swapping files on OneDrive or github.  

Brian T., Lindon Ventures - www.lindonventures.com
Analytics Consulting and Training by Certified RapidMiner Experts
Unicorn
Unicorn

Re: RapidMiner Data Science Competition 4: DrivenData's "Pover-T" - $15,000 prize for char

count me in too, i'm at: neuralmarket

Regards,
Thomas

Blog: Neural Market Trends

RapidMiner Tutorial Videos here!
Community Manager

awesome. Thanks @Thomas_Ott @Telcontar120. You need to sign up for the competition first and then I can add you as teammates. @mschmitz is, of course, already on the ball with a score of around 0.2 after 30 min. Smiley Happy

Good idea about the competition server. It's still running. Ping me if you need access.  Note that the server is running 7.6 so you need to run Studio 7.6 to access. Smiley Sad

Let's DO this!

Scott

Scott Genzer
Senior Community Manager
RapidMiner, Inc.
Unicorn
Unicorn

Any chance to update the competition server to version 8?  I no longer have a running version of Studio 7.6 and since they can't co-exist on the same machine there is no easy way to get one going again...

Brian T., Lindon Ventures - www.lindonventures.com
Analytics Consulting and Training by Certified RapidMiner Experts
Community Manager

Competition Server should be set up

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 9.19.22 AM.png

Scott

Scott Genzer
Senior Community Manager
RapidMiner, Inc.
Community Manager

yeah you're right - we need to upgrade that server. OK I will ping the folks in Budapest.

Scott

Scott Genzer
Senior Community Manager
RapidMiner, Inc.
Community Manager

meanwhile here are my first two processes - the second is still me playing around with ETL of the "indiv" data set in Company A.

Scott

Scott Genzer
Senior Community Manager
RapidMiner, Inc.
Unicorn
Unicorn

Looks like I need to finally upgrade to V8 then. Perfect timing, I need to put a V8 server on a new box.

Regards,
Thomas

Blog: Neural Market Trends

RapidMiner Tutorial Videos here!

Hi my RM friends,

would love to join this competition

hopefully I can be of any added value...

Cheers

Sven

https://www.drivendata.org/users/SvenVanPoucke/