Can't build RapidMiner 7.5 from source

klinklin Member Posts: 9 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help

Hi, I'm having trouble building RapidMiner Studio since I downloaded the latest source from github.  Even with no local changes I get dependency issues and NoClassDefFound errors everywhere when I run tests.  Do I need to update something else?  

Tagged:

Answers

• zprekopcsakzprekopcsak RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 47 Guru

Hi, please try this thread on Github: https://github.com/rapidminer/rapidminer-studio/issues/1

• klinklin Member Posts: 9 Contributor I

Thank you for the reply, Zoltan.  I was able to avoid the NoClassDefFound issues that way, but I still have dependency problems with the org.h2.api and org.h2.tools libraries.  I don't see these in the dependency sections of the build.gradle file.  Do I need to add them, and if so, which version should I use?

They are included as compile 'com.h2database:h2:1.4.194'  so this might be an issue with your Gradle setup then.

Thanks, I was able to locate those.  What about the com.vlsolutions.swing packages?  I am now at a loss for where to find those, if they are in one of the included dependencies.

Just search for "vldocking" in build.gradle: https://github.com/rapidminer/rapidminer-studio/blob/master/build.gradle

Thank you Zoltan for your patient responses.  I am now able to build RapidMiner but when I try to run RapidMinerGUI.java from inside IntelliJ, I get the following error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
    at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
    at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:264)
    at com.intellij.rt.execution.application.AppMain.main(AppMain.java:122)
    Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not initialize RapidMiner Studio version from properties file
    at com.rapidminer.tools.PlatformUtilities.initializeReleaseVersion(PlatformUtilities.java:184)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.PlatformUtilities.initialize(PlatformUtilities.java:134)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.PlatformUtilities.getReleaseVersion(PlatformUtilities.java:169)
    at com.rapidminer.RapidMinerVersion.<init>(RapidMinerVersion.java:33)
    at com.rapidminer.RapidMiner.<clinit>(RapidMiner.java:165)
    ... 3 more

What properties file is this referring to?

I downloaded the latest 7.5.1 code and received the same error, but was able to work around it by manually copying gradle.properties to my build directory.  I can now run RM, albeit a bunch of exceptions in the console.

I think I'm good for now, but wonder if others are experiencing similar difficulties.  I just downloaded the code from github and ran as-is, no local changes.