"New Operator Extension 2016 manual and templates"

sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
edited June 2019 in Help
first THANK YOU for this.  It is a huge improvement from the old manual and allows (almost) mere mortals like I am to try to create my own extensions.  I greatly appreciate the "step-by-step" instructions and the screenshots from Eclipse.

This is still a challenge for me (and a fun one) due to my very poor Java skills but was wondering if this is the forum to ask rather simple questions while following the new manual?  For example, right now my main challenge is that the examples refer to classes that are conveniently hidden in import sections of the screenshots.  My guess is that you, the developers, don't even think about this any more, but I am trying to follow step-by-step and running into constant compiling errors because gradle cannot find this and that.  Right now it cannot find "ExampleSetInputPort()" which is somewhere....

Thank you again!

Scott

Answers

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

I can recommend to use an IDE like Eclipse or IntelliJ. Their benefit is that you get a lot of stuff for free, e.g. when an import is missing, it will display a warning on the unknown class and you can basically right-click on the problem and get contextual help or an automated solution for the problem. That way, you can simply ask Eclipse to import the missing classes.

If you are looking for specific classes, you can also do Ctrl+Shift+T in Eclipse to find them.

Regards,
    Marco
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    thanks, Marco.  Much appreciated.  Still not helping me with ExampleSetInputPort...any ideas?
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

ExampleSetInputPort is not a class in our code. Instead it is a method in the com.rapidminer.operator.AbstractExampleSetProcessing class found in studio-core.

Regards,
    Marco

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    ah - that's what I was looking for.  Thank you!

Scott