maiformed reply from socks server

2131012221310122 Member Posts: 40 Guru
edited March 2020 in Help

Hello, I am using RapidMiner studio 8.1.3 and trying to use "read database" operator.

So I have to manage database connection first.

But  when I test the connection, it shows error message in the background like this:

1.jpg

2.png

3.jpg

Does anybody know the answer? Thanks a lot.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted

Hello @21310122,

This is strange, SOCKS servers aren't a common practice for managing PostgreSQL connections. This can mean one of three things:

1. You configured your computer or network to use a SOCKS proxy. 
    2. You configured your SOCKS proxy in the RapidMiner Studio preferences.
    3. You configured your PostgreSQL driver to connect to a SOCKS proxy but you don't have one.

Let's think a bit:

1. You actually can connect to your database using another client, hence that is not the case. That's great because a) this rules out your computer or your network setup, which is harder to address if company policies force you to use such a thing, and b) I don't know how to use Windows and can't help you.
    2. You actually can't connect to your database using RapidMiner Studio, hence you should check Preferences > Proxy, and either delete your proxy settings or add your PostgreSQL host to the "No proxy for" list, so that it doesn't get redirected.
    3. You may have configured SOCKS on your driver, but looking at the dialog opened with the "Advanced" button, I don't see a SOCKS configuration for the PostgreSQL driver provided with RapidMiner Studio/Server, hence this is not the case. That's bad, that was the simpler solution.
    4. You do have a SOCKS server but it's a v4. This is not supported by the PostgreSQL JDBC driver, AFAIK. If that is the case, that's a no-no. SOCKS5 has been around since mid-1996, and a little kitten goes to heaven when one uses SOCKS4.

Anyway, try something else:

1. Replace the PostgreSQL JDBC driver by a newer one.
    2. Make sure you are using Java 8. I've seen a few bugs related with handling SOCKS, but these are labelled with Java 7.
    3. If nothing else works, please give us a bit more information about your network and your setup. If you wish, do it in a private message to me. I have seen this kind of errors plenty of times with PostgreSQL but honestly, never with RapidMiner.

All the best,

Answers

• rfuentealbarfuentealba Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member, University Professor Posts: 568 Unicorn

Wait, wait... why is your server on 168.0.0.0/8? IIRC, that is a public IP.

• 2131012221310122 Member Posts: 40 Guru

Thank you a lot.

check Preferences > Proxy as you said (I didn't check this before, so I use the default value "System proxy" ) and I change it to "Direct(no proxy)" now.

Then I retried the connection test in RM, it showS connected success.

Glad it helped! Enjoy!