Options

What home computer platform do you recommend for a data science practitioner?

breckjensen90breckjensen90 Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
edited December 2018 in Help

Hello Everyone,

I am in the market for a new notebook PC. Can you recommend one to me, your preferred brands, and the minimum system dimensions you feel are important for a data scientist to have on their working platform? Are Apple products satisfactory for serious business users? I have always worked on Unix variants and Windows platforms for systems and software engineering work.

I intend for a notebook PC to give demonstrations of my unique value proposition as a data scientist when I solicit new business during personal presentations. I also intend to rely on it for graphically demonstrating my work products with data visualizations, modeling and simulations. I may experiment with in-memory data management and predictive analytics. I intend to use such open source tools as VisIt, Gephi or ParaView. Do you recommend others?

I will likely keep production-level big data in the Cloud or on my clients' own data platforms, but I will nevertheless still be processing some large data sources on my local system, depending on what my clientele give me for customer experience, financial markets, macro-economics, industry studies, or scientific and engineering analyses.

Any Idea , Suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks,

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.

References:https://www.datasciencecentral.com/forum/topics/what-home-computer-platform-do-you-recommend-for-a-data-science

installation video

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

Hello @breckjensen90 - sorry for the delay.  Your message got caught in the spam quarantine.  :)  As for your question:   

Are Apple products satisfactory for serious business users?

<grin>

I can only tell you that I have been running RapidMiner at a blazing speed with my Mac Pro (2013) and generally out-benchmark most other desktop machines.  :)  I have been doing data science freelancing work since 2013.  Minimum RAM for any machine is 8GB but I would get at least 16GB (I have 64GB) as RapidMiner likes a lot of RAM.  If you have a paid license you should definitely have multiple cores to take advantage of all the parallelization available (I have a 6-core Xeon E5).

Scott