How To Set up RapidMiner library in Android Studio

theatozchannel5theatozchannel5 Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
edited October 2019 in Help

I am currently working on an object recognition app. I'm using Android Studio and I have created a Neural Network model on Rapid Miner Studio and saved it as PMML. I want to apply this model on a set of extracted features in Android Studio so that I can obtain a prediction (e.g: is the object a fruit/vegetable/nut?). However, I'm not able to integrate the Rapid Miner library in Android Studio. I've downloaded "rapidminer-extension-template" from https://github.com/rapidminer/rapidminer-extension-template. Is it the correct file that should be downloaded?

I have looked for a working solution for the past 4 days but I can't seem to find one.

Do I have to use the Rapid Miner library to apply the PMML model or is it possible to use something else?

Best Answers

• theatozchannel5theatozchannel5 Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
    Solution Accepted

It is possible to import the PMML file in Android Studio. I had to add a library ("pmml-model-1.3.9.jar" along with the schema library: "pmml-schema-1.3.9") that supports it. Now I only have to look for the library's documentation to be able to apply the model on a set of features to obtain a prediction.

Thanks for the help :D

Solution Accepted

I downloaded the wrong library and found out about this only after receving an email from the library developer stating that the pmml-evaluator library had to be used instead of pmml-model.

Answers

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

Ok, I'm not familiar with Android but maybe a RapidMiner Server is what you need to fill the gap. 

If you're writing an Andriod app to do something, you could ping an entire RapidMiner process via a RapidMiner Server exposed REST API address. This way the app can communicate with RapidMiner and give a response. 

Thanks for your reply. The app is not supposed to require Internet connection to work.

I just need to know:
    1. if it is possible to save a Neural Net RapidMiner model as PMML
    2. can i import this PMML file in Android Studio/Eclipse so that I can apply it on an ExampleSet to obtain a prediction

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

1. There is a PMML extension but I'm not sure if you can save a neural net model in PMML format.  I would install the extension and test it out. 

2. I can't say anything about merging PMML with Andriod Studio, assuming the NN can be saved in PMML format, you'd probably have to check if the Andriod would even support PMML.