Performing Math calculations on healthcare dataset

arsalan_karimarsalan_karim Member Posts: 14 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help

Hi 

I am new to RM Studio. I am a physician and I have a dataset of patients that are diabetic as well as non-diabetics, ages, gender etc. The other columns specify lab test result values for several lab tests like fasting sugars etc etc.

Before I proceed to any data modelling, I need to run some basic excel work on it like % of Diabetics based on gender, age and some lab tests. This is fairly easy to do in excel where i can run some formulas / pivot tables and get the values...

Is there any way i could these calculations in RM Studio ??

Thanks 

Arsalan

Tagged:

Best Answers

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist
    Solution Accepted

Hi,

sure. In your case you want to use a Aggregate operator to generate e.g. count(diabetis) with group by Gender. Maybe you want to combine it with some Generate Attributes to generate new coloums with an excel like interface. Keep in mind that Generate Attributes is doing formulas on a line by line basis and never mixes lines (called examples). If you need averages, std_devs etc on a coloumnar basis, it's usually aggregate.

~Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted

As Martin said, Aggregate will be useful if you want to do calculations for a "column" (or attribute in RapidMiner terms) across multiple "rows" (called examples in RapidMiner).  Aggregate has built in functions for count(percentage) or average, or other common calculations.

Generate Aggregation is another helpful operator if you want to do transformations across multiple attributes within the same example.  It has similar functions as Aggregate but only works within examples.

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts

Answers

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

There's also the Generate Attributes operator that let's you simple and complex math operations and create new columns. 

• arsalan_karimarsalan_karim Member Posts: 14 Contributor II

Thanks. That was very helpful information. 

It helped me solve the problem..

Arsalan