upload greek in mysql database

icsd11159icsd11159 Member Posts: 16 Maven
edited January 2020 in Help

Hello,

I have a connection with MySQL database and i pass values in a table but i have greek words and in database tha results are like: ??????dbn.PNG

Tagged:

Best Answer

• icsd11159icsd11159 Member Posts: 16 Maven
    Solution Accepted

Thank you all for your help , i just solve my problem by setting the appropriate connection properties in RapidMiner Studio : via Connections > Manage Database Connections > Advanced and check the 

<SPAN class="str">characterEncoding</SPAN>

and write utf8 in the blank next to it .

Also must check and  

<SPAN class="str">useEncoding</SPAN>

Answers

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

hello @icsd11159 - is that a RapidMiner screenshot? I do not recognize those icons.

Scott

This is a screenshot from my database , that writes greek perfect from hltm/php but when i use 'write database' operation they turn into ?????.I use 'execute SQL' with 'SET CHARACTER SET UTF8' but nothing is change .Do you have any idea to fix this ?

• JEdwardJEdward RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 578 Unicorn

Is your RapidMiner display set to Unicode? 

My results are in greek , if that's what you asking

exampleset.PNG

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

ah ok that makes more sense. Most likely that's an encoding issue. Can you check and see if your system RapidMiner encoding is the same as your database? I can see if your system is ISO-8859-1 and your database is UTF-8, you would have a problem.

Scott

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 9.35.50 AM.png

• JEdwardJEdward RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 578 Unicorn

Thanks, was just checking by eliminating the first possibility. 

The issue might actually the first one I suspected, the JDBC driver could need an additional connection parameter set as advanced parameters. 

Set useUnicode to yes & characterEncoding to UTF-8

This should resolve it.

<SPAN class="pln">jdbc</SPAN><SPAN class="pun">:</SPAN><SPAN class="pln">mysql</SPAN><SPAN class="pun">://</SPAN><SPAN class="pln">localhost</SPAN><SPAN class="pun">:</SPAN><SPAN class="lit">3306</SPAN><SPAN class="pun">/</SPAN><SPAN class="pln">db_name</SPAN><SPAN class="pun">?</SPAN><SPAN class="pln">useUnicode</SPAN><SPAN class="pun">=</SPAN><SPAN class="pln">yes</SPAN><SPAN class="pun">&</SPAN><SPAN class="pln">characterEncoding</SPAN><SPAN class="pun">=</SPAN><SPAN class="pln">UTF-8</SPAN>

See here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5090303/how-do-i-get-greek-characters-in-my-database-using-jsp

oh nice catch, @JEdward.

Scott

Thank you for your reply!

I agree with you and i think that this must be the solution . But when i change the url path it gives me error dtbe.PNG

My ManageDatabaseDrivers is like :

mdd.PNG