BUG: Right clicks in design view on OS X

yzanyzan Member Posts: 66 Unicorn
edited December 2018 in Product Feedback - Resolved

Right clicks with a touchpad on the operators (or even on an unoccupied place on the drawing board) in the design view should open a context menu. But in RapidMiner 7.6 and 8.0, the right clicks are consumed and the view shifts a bit (like if I was scrolling to the side) and the context menu is not displayed. For me, this is a show stopper as OS X does not have a key on the keyboard to show the context menu.

A workaround: Use window menu. However, not all functionality is available over the window menu. For example, operator results, if they are not wired to the right side of the design view, are not accessible.

The right clicks work correctly in RapidMiner 6.3.

OS X version: 10.11.6

Tagged:
0 votes

Released · Last Updated

Comments

• rachel_lomaskyrachel_lomasky Member Posts: 52 Guru

I have the same problem.  Using 8.0.0001 (rev: 87e516, platform OSX).  Also, 10.11.6.  Same problem in the Repository.

• zprekopcsakzprekopcsak RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 47 Guru

Thanks for the reports! It seems to be a bug in Java itself and should be fixed in the upcoming Java 8u152 version. Stay tuned, we hope to have this resolved very soon.

• Balazs_HamornikBalazs_Hamornik Moderator, Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
  • yzanyzan Member Posts: 66 Unicorn

RapidMiner 8.1.0 fixed it for me.

Ah, it was just my wishful thinking. The problem persists in RapidMiner 8.1.0.

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

agreed. It's still a Java / Mac OS X issue. 

• rachel_lomaskyrachel_lomasky Member Posts: 52 Guru

And idea whether this will be fixed anytime soon?  I'm stuck, I think, on 7.5.  I'd really like to upgrade.

Thanks,

Rachel

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

hi @rachel_lomasky - unfortunately we're still between a rock (Apple) and a hard place (Oracle Java). However I did some poking around on my mac and interestingly enough I do NOT have this problem. Perhaps it's because I forced the "right click" to be the lower right corner of my MacBook Pro's touchpad? Give it a try?

Or, as painful as it sounds, you can always get a mouse/trackball with right click button...

@sgenzer - yes, when I change the "Secondary click" from "Click with two fingers" to "Click in bottom right border" or "Click in bottom left border", the issue disappears.

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    This should be fixed in RapidMiner Studio 9.1. We updated the shipped Java version which contains a fix.